Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Typo" Flip Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Typo" Flip Clock

Found one of these modern flip clocks at Goodwill of all places. I haven't found a clock there in ages.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d6cea54988d778a4a5793e9e2a74b786.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	26409

Between the rattling sound inside and the state of the battery compartment, it wasn't hard to figure out why it was dumped at Goodwill.

Name:	d1ac1582845e75bd777065541f3d3e75.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	26410

I've cleaned it up and stuck some new batteries in it, but it doesn't do anything. I'm doubtful these modern plastic ones are really fixable, if fixing them is even warranted. Still a good looking little unit on the outside at least.

Any ideas on what I should do with this one? I'm open to any and all ideas.

If anyone wants more pictures of the guts, I'll have it open shortly.

Nice find! I would also have picked it up at that price. And I like the designation "Typo"

YouTuber Techmoan once reviewed it and was not too unhappy with it:

Comment

That's an interesting find! I would open it up and see whether there is 1.5v going to the motor or not and take it from there. Could be fun to fix, right?

Comment

It's one of those little Chinese brick clocks. I think it just has one of those simple clock mechanisms repurposed as a flip clock motor. It's junk of course, but I would have saved it from Goodwill just because it was there. It's been a very long time since I've seen a flip clock in the wild too. Any I've never seen a typo flipi clcok
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

The Typo clock has a little "door" in the back that lets you access two levers that advance the tiles one at a time in order to set it- a rather "primitive" system, but this does work.

Name:	dc251ce9023bfa057b30e0531bb28bd7.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	26512

Name:	a85533cdbcc2a9d382ace50032469f2a.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	26513

I've had to be extremely delicate with them, as the plastic is incredibly brittle. It feels like working with the chassis of old Macintosh machines- which is scary as this clock hasn't had 20+ years of time to deteriorate as they have.

Comment

The case is held together with 5 tapped screws just drilled into the plastic- I guess I'm surprised they went with 5 screws when they could have cut corners and only used 4 or even 3 the way the rest of this is made. Inside it's pretty bare.

Name:	1f938d94c792cd90eb9c46e5b5f25713.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	26515

Name:	cda744f58deb5e4d3008dd53df3b1041.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	26516

The gearing that advances the tiles closer up. It's simple, but it works I guess.

Name:	a73704601a6b3d3856f822a9943434cd.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	26517

Finally the motor, which looks like it may have been adapted from a regular wall clock somehow. I'm not sure if "BYM2005" is a model, or if that's the year of manufacture. I've tried coaxing power into it a few different ways, and nothing has worked I'm afraid. I'd imagine the "rubber band" that kept this thing going has long since worn out, and I kinda doubt it's worth trying to fix it.

At any rate, it's a nice looking clock at least, so it'll go up on the shelf with the others. Maybe I'll think of something to get it working again someday.

Comment

That's a shame, it would have been nice to get it working again.

The 'BYM 2005' is actually a type of clockwork, you can find it on aliexpress here

Comment

Working...
              X