Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESP32 Driven Flip Clock Project with Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESP32 Driven Flip Clock Project with Weather

Click image for larger version

Name:	DHuang-clock1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	25220

David Huang Shared a project on youtube going into detail on making a flip display clock that includes weather running off of 8 stepper motors.

You can get auto translated subtitles from youtube; I thought the section about creating the flaps out of paper was interesting at the 5:30 mark.

Name:	DHuang-clock2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	25221

Cool! I have often thought about what could be a viable material for reproducing flaps, but that's going to be tricky... Would paper not bend in sunlight? Have not watched the video yet...

Comment

I'm not sure of the longevity of the flap, far as I can tell he is using a type of thin cardstock and a plotter with something like a drag knife you use for cutting paper/vinyl sheet. A piece of white is glued inside then it's folded over along a score line.

Name:	DHuang-clock3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	25226

Name:	DHuang-clock4.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	25227

Comment

Wow, that's really cool.

Comment

Just watched the video and it's very ingenious to see how he did it with the flaps. Having folded them, with a layer in between them, they will last a good while I'd say, especially when not exposed directly to sunlight/rays. Food for thought!

Comment

Working...
          X