Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European radio-alarm-flipclock with 100v motor!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European radio-alarm-flipclock with 100v motor!?

I was scavenging my pile of parts clocks for a specific type of flap, which someone was after and eventually ended up finding them in a Saba radio-alarm-flipclock. Since I had the clock open anyways, I figured I might as well see what type of motor is in there, what is the condition and whether it made sense to remove it, label and put it in my box of motors. Low and behold my discovery that in spite of being a 220v radio-alarmclock, the motor driving the (Copal) clockwork is 100v... and 50hz (at least that makes sense).
    What could be the idea behind this? Would the radio part be driven by 100v through a transformer and was it cheaper to make it so that the clockwork is also driven from that same point?

Perhaps we will never know, but it certainly surprised me!

That is a mystery! Were the two leads still connected? Were they connected to the mains lines directly inside the cabinet or to the secondary windings of the transformer?

Comment

I did not look into it that for because I was eventually only going for the flaps and was pressed for time but I did not put it away yet so might have some time over the weekend to see if I can see where the wires go.

Comment

Working...
      X