Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a flip clock with a loud “flip”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a flip clock with a loud “flip”

I’ve always found the sound of the minute/hour flipping to be quite satisfying and relaxing. But the last few clocks I’ve purchased, the flip was barely audible. Can you guys please recommend a clock that has a particularly loud “flutter” when the digits flip? Ideally on the smaller side - no radio component or alarm necessary either…thanks!

One way you might search is filter products reviews on amazon for people complaining about a flip clock being too loud or noisy. Example.

As far as vintage, larger flips clocks made for an office or public space can deliver more flip noise, but are more costly.

What clocks have you bought that you consider too quiet?

Comment

• Elston Gunn
      Elston Gunn commented
      Editing a comment
      Sadly, quite a few. It seems as these posts are correct. To really get a good flutter, one you can hear across the room, you need a larger clock. I need to find a nice clean looking big one!

Originally posted by Elston Gunn View Post
    Can you guys please recommend a clock that has a particularly loud “flutter” when the digits flip?
    A Cifra 3 would do the trick. On the modern side I'd recommend the TWEMCO QT-30.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	QT-30-white.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	24300 Click image for larger version

Name:	QT-30-orange.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	24301 Click image for larger version

Name:	QT-30-black.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	24302
    It comes in a wide variety of colors and the prices have started to come down.
    I am right in the middle of doing a video on another flipper that would probably even meet your needs better.
    I hope to have it done soon.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

• Elston Gunn
      Elston Gunn commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have that twenco- thank you! I will be in the market for a Cifra 3. Although the brand looks expensive, they seem to make a nice looking clock. I’m willing to pay extra for the extra sound!

There are some good tips here already! I would say in general, the smaller the clock, the more silent it will be. What comes to mind for me is the larger wall type clock like the 'Bodet', they have big (and thick) flaps and make a nice sound when flipping. If you are in the US, you might consider the Kentech type clocks, they do make some noise when flipping although it is not the traditional flipping sound you might be looking for.

In any case, steer clear from Copal As nice as they look, unfortunately for you, they tend to be really quiet.

Comment

• Elston Gunn
      Elston Gunn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Will look for a bodet. In terms of copal, that’s certainly true. I have a few. Beautiful by silent.

Here's an Idea
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
    X