Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flippy thing watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flippy thing watch

This video is already 12 years old but it makes me laugh

the practicality simply isn't there, but who cares, it is way cool! is it actually running though, I mean she can flip it using the cd-rom-parts, but is it spinning @ 1rpm?

Comment

Not sure it actually keeps time indeed. I think it was just a Friday afternoon project for fun, not to taken seriously :-)

Diving a bit further into it though, found some other interesting wrist watches:

A design studio called 'Tokyoflash' once had the idea to create a real flip clock watch. I think they never got the funding to really make it.
      Design Submitted by Gordon from the USA. A very pleasing atheistic to this watch we felt. Although not the norm for TF designs, we couldn’t resist the satisfying feeling that flip action woul…

Click image for larger version

Name:	woody-retro.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	22652

Then there is the Derby Swissonic, a roll clock in a watch from 1975. Nowadays very rare and expensive and alas also unreliable.

Name:	derbyswissonicjumphour0a.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	22651

And then there is the Devon Works Tread 2. This watch uses two belts to show the hours and the minutes, bit like the Westclox film clock mechanism. But in this watch the two belts are perpendicular and cross each other, totally crazy!
      In today's review, we are taking a look at the Devon Works Tread 2 Shining, a watch that reignited my wonder for watches.

Name:	Devon-Tread-2-Shining-22.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	22653

Much more common are the 'Jump hour' watches, where the numbers are on spinning disks.
      Here's a nice example:

Name:	6833bf98e30771bc0.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	22654

I would love to own one of these watches one day. I think it has to be a jump hour watch as the others are non-existent or unaffordable.

Comment

Neat! I didn't know about any of these, thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
        X