Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Nakagin Capsule tower - 140 flip clocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tokyo Nakagin Capsule tower - 140 flip clocks!

I have a fascination for Japan and all of its quirks as well as their curious language (I wonder if they say the same about us...) and follow several youtube channels about Japan.

One of these quirks is a capsule tower, containing 140 tiny apartments, built in 1972. To my amazement (but then again, not really when you think about it), the original apartments were equipped with a wall with cabinets, stereo equipment and.... of course, a Copal/Caslon flip clock, the model 701! How cool is that!?

Screenshot attached and link to the youtube footage as well. Let's hope they get to save some of the still original capsules, including the flip clocks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6125.png
Views:	151
Size:	639.3 KB
ID:	22476

Woah! That's awesome!

Comment

Couple copals on yahoo auctions, reminded me of this thread. This model seems more intentional in the use as a built in.
      https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/r1027309109

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/o1035675285

Name:	copalGC-1270front.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	23684

Name:	copalGC-1270side.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	23685

Comment

That’s an interesting concept. I’d love to see it be reintegrated to more homes being built today, a dedicated clock or timepiece on a wall looks much cooler when permanently installed than when it is just hanging. Of course, permanently installing it comes with it’s own set of drawbacks too!

Comment

Originally posted by cyb3rbyte View Post
          That’s an interesting concept. I’d love to see it be reintegrated to more homes being built today, a dedicated clock or timepiece on a wall looks much cooler when permanently installed than when it is just hanging. Of course, permanently installing it comes with it’s own set of drawbacks too!
          Last couple houses I've lived in had a old wall plug for a clock in the kitchen, never quite worked out as far as where they were placed, but I like the idea. Getting rid of a trailing cord would be a big plus for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post

Last couple houses I've lived in had a old wall plug for a clock in the kitchen, never quite worked out as far as where they were placed, but I like the idea. Getting rid of a trailing cord would be a big plus for me.
            Yeah, I have nothing against a wall clock powered by 110v/220v, not even the cable being in sight actually but then I would change the cable for something which matches the decor.
            I am changing over (= redecorating) one wall in our house and already have a Copal model 401 wall clock ready for that but will be putting the cable inside the wall to have it come out at the bottom, near the floor so it can go into an outlet, looks much nicer and cleaner.

Comment

Working...
            X