Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flip Clock Mechanism... what do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flip Clock Mechanism... what do I have?

What can you tell me about this flip mechanism and motor? I got it when I acquired a bunch of mechanical digital clocks. Is it a useful part, or just something I should display with my mechanical digital mechanism graveyard display... you can see part of the makings for that in the background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_ED084F8D2C11-1.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	22205

The guts of a Cifra 3 it seems. 1960s/1970s. Motor and clock flap mechanism. Motor is a Haydon (General Time Corp) sealed unit. Long, long out of production. Pretty reliable and robust, but no fun to service.
    Last edited by ; September 18, 2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for identifying it. I like the simplicity of the Cifra 3.

Is it mainly a seconds wheel that I'd be missing to be able to turn this into a functioning clock? If there's a lot more than that, then I'l likely not attempt to make it functional. But if I could get it going, I'd probably just have it as an exposed clock with minimal base.

Otherwise, if someone else would find this to be valuable, feel free to PM me with an offer.

Comment

I hope to be getting a box full of complete/incomplete working/non-working Cifra 3's in soon, perhaps there is something there that you could use to make a functioning clock. I will keep you posted, could be a few weeks before I get it in.

Comment

It is missing the main drive mechanism that interfaces the motor to the clock movement. Hopefully, flipclock_nl has some in the items he is getting.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
            I hope to be getting a box full of complete/incomplete working/non-working Cifra 3's in soon, perhaps there is something there that you could use to make a functioning clock. I will keep you posted, could be a few weeks before I get it in.
            Let me know if you find anything that would help make it functional.

Otherwise, I have a graveyard of about 10 different number wheels from a different kind of clock and it could be the one flip in the group in a little display.

Comment

Working...
            X