Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Spot a 1960s -1970s Cifra 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Spot a 1960s -1970s Cifra 3

I have two Cifra 3 clocks from the edition that was tied to its inclusion in the MOMA collection. They're easy to identify because they're signed. I'm now looking for an earlier example, from the era closer to when they were first produced, and I can't find info on how to spot one when I can't personally inspect it. I know this could be a long hunt, but it might be easier if I knew of any giveaways that don't depend on a seller's assurances or lack thereof. For example, did the early ones operate only by electric current, no battery option? For the most part, were they signed (labelled, embossed) with certain text? I know some weren't made in Italy and/or were customized for companies, etc., and that the identifying text probably changed over the years, but did the majority have or not have any characteristic(s) that the newer ones do? Thanks, guys.

I know that the 60s/70s versions were electric plug-in only and the majority were 220/240/50hz with only a small number coming in 110/117/60hz. They sourced the motors, for the most part, from a US company, General Time Corp/Hayden. I think the 60s/70s versions also came in one extra color, which was a shade of dark putty.

I believe the reproduction (EXPENSIVE!!) versions were started around 2015(?) and are battery-only while a few other models are plug-in wall hanging units. The battery versions have a defect in their movement which causes them to stop running in 3-4 years, but I have developed a fix for it.

I have never run across any that were made with company branding. What do you mean by "signed"?

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer View Post
      I have never run across any that were made with company branding. What do you mean by "signed"?
      I have one with company branding and have seen a few more online. Not sure, but some people call a clock with a label or manufacture plate on it, "Signed." I've heard people say that more than a few times. Curious. I don't know if that's a European thing or what.

But to the point of the original poster....

The front faces of the 2015 clocks do not have "Solari" embossed on them, while the older ones do. The MOMA version does not.
      The earlier clocks have the Solari Udine "flap" logo on the hours/mins adjustment wheel ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	solari_logo.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.6 KB ID:	21607
      While the newer ones do not.

The following is an example (not my clock although I have a couple in storage) with both the embossed front and the logo on the time adjustment knob.

Click image for larger version  Name:	solari.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.9 KB ID:	21608

I can't say that this is the definitive, fool proof way to tell. But it's a start. I actually have a new, never used front piece from with the "solari" on it. So I suppose that I could slap that on a clock and really mess things up. Doesn't seem likely that someone would go to that trouble though. This never used front piece was not free.

Click image for larger version  Name:	solari-front.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	21609
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Good info!

Comment

Thanks--that IS good info! Much appreciated. And yes, I should have written "branded" instead of "signed." I also collect vintage watches, and often those that were produced for a specific retailer are referred to as "co-signed," as in "co-signed by Tiffany," etc. This is true of modern watches too. All of them are for sale only at that retailer, as opposed to something branded that's made as a promotion or as employee gifts.

Comment

I just managed to purchase on of these (the vintage version, not the new one) in Germany, from a closure of an old watch maker shop. It appears to be complete, even with a cable but is fully untested so that will be a surprise.

It is labelled on the front as 'Mauthe', which is (or was) a German brand, but on the 'glass' it is still marked as 'Solari'.

Mine is orange by the way, one of the reasons I bought it, it is a very cool color for this clock!

Comment

Next weekend I'm finally giving away to my partner a Cifra 3 which I bought from flipoclock. I am sooo excited about it!

I am compiling as much information as I can to share with, and one of the questions I still have is when did the "original" mains plugged Cifra 3 stopped being manufactured. Do you know?

Comment

Working...
              X