Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why you should always double box your flip clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you should always double box your flip clock

I'm a big advocate for saving the flip clocks. And when we ship we should double box. But recently I didn't take my own advice when helping someone with their clock. And so .... the clock came back to me to be re-fixed. A kind of boomerang flip clock.

A relatively short video if you're interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	small-thumb.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	21431
    YouTube
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Good suggestion and a bummer that this happened! You live and you learn!

I don't double box, I use boxes with double walls and I use a box which is a lot larger than the clock and full it with mostly bubble wrap and I have not had one breakage in the past, I think, 5 or 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
      Good suggestion and a bummer that this happened! You live and you learn!

I don't double box, I use boxes with double walls and I use a box which is a lot larger than the clock and full it with mostly bubble wrap and I have not had one breakage in the past, I think, 5 or 6 years.
      That's a fine way to do it of course. I made the mistake of shipping back the clock basically in the same box it was sent to me in. Won't do that again for sure.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I always use a box with enough room to add lots of bubble wrap. Just one box though. Their is still the risk of the shipper mis-handling the box. Especially a hard drop. I have only had one damaged in shipping . The box arrived with hole in it as though it was stabbed with something. The box had a mint Panasonic rc-6040. The front lenses was broken. Glad I insured that one.

Comment

What a strange "break" for that little arm to become dislodged. It seems there was some sort of lateral play in the alarm wheel. Usually, I see that kind of problem if I am taking it apart and it slips out of place.

Well, glad you got it fixed!

Comment

Recently had a clock I got on ebay, the seller pulled all the knobs so it would fit into the smallest box possible, so you can imagine the amount of cushion it had...sometimes when I get one vintage in box, there's a worry in the back of my head of the seller shipping it just in the old cardboard. Double boxing or double walled boxes would be great to see from a restorer.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
              sometimes when I get one vintage in box, there's a worry in the back of my head of the seller shipping it just in the old cardboard.

Yeah, been there, done that, tape and labels on box and all that.

Comment

Been there, done that! Thankfully it wasn't demolished in shipping!

Comment

Working...
                X