Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 227 Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 227 Noise

my copal 227 makes a constant noise from the motor. it sounds like a grinding noise?
    when i tilt it with the motor on top, the noise stops. when i tip it the other way the noise is quite loud.
    is this something that some oil could fix? if so what type of oil and where would i apply it.
    thanks

Highly likely it is a lubrication issue. Check post #4 here for oiling direction:

Toshiba RC-693F: numbers won’t flip - Flip Clock Fans Forum

Comment

Let's hope that lubrication will help, it is possible that there is wear on the motor causing it to 'wobble' and make the noise, but this is not necessarily what is going on, I would indeed try some lubrication first!

Comment

i lubricated it with some synthetic oil and it seems quieter.
        i took about 30 minutes just to get the knobs off. had to use channel locks.
        when i took out the unit, there was lots of flecks from the design on the flywheel that were everywhere. i thought that could be the culprit so i used some canned air to blow the pieces out.
        well the wheel spun at around 100 rpm. most of the glued on paper design just vanished. compressed air also worked great to move the oil around.
        Last edited by jsmithers; June 29, 2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Sounds good, if that did the trick, that's cool!

If you need a new sticker, send me a message. I reproduced them in high quality for my own clocks but also sell them.

Comment

well it's quieter now, but i ran into a problem on the final step.
            the large knob goes on and it changes the alarm time.
            the small knob doesn't stay on and won't turn the spindle to set the time. it just spins freely.
            i took a closer look and it appears i broke off a piece at the end.
            i'll look around for a piece of plastic and glue it on. that should work.
            main thing to me is that it's quiet.
            thanks for the help.
            Last edited by jsmithers; June 29, 2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X