Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twemco QT30T Malfunctioning?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twemco QT30T Malfunctioning?

3 months ago I purchased a Twemco QT30T Flip Clock. This week it started doing this: at 7:59, when it should flip to 8:00, it goes to 8:59 then 30 seconds later it goes to 8:00. Didn't do that when new. This is my first Flip Clock. Can you guys explain what is going on like why the 00 refuses to drop on the hour. Note the clock has not been moved in 3 months.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I had to look up the model number, but it is a nice looking clock, congrats!

This clock is very new and as such somewhat different from vintage flip clocks. From what I can tell, there is not a metal tab, holding back the last few minutes of the hour and only letting go of the 59 tab at the very moment the hour jumps to the next. Possibly your clock needs a perfect sync between the minutes and the hours and something there is 'off'?
    Perhaps someone else at the forum can say something more about it? I don't know this particular clock.

Comment

Sorry to say, but it seems to plague this model. Amazon reviews complain about lost time quite a few times. Other known names and models sold as "Longrich", "Kikertech", "Walk on" and a few others. I have worked on the "Walk On" model (had a split gear after only 1 year) and it was very low quality inside.

Twemco used to be Japanese-made many, many years ago, but are now made in Hong Kong. Link with pictures below.

twemco hong kong

Comment

• Mackey
        Mackey commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the link

Don't they say they use German movement? Or maybe that mean actual quartz clock is German made. The same principle is used on Chinese clocks it seems, probably is cheaper, you don't need separate manufacturing for the 59 minute tile. But in any case sad, I was considering buying that.

Also stylistic choices makes traditional notch mechanism impossible, because there is plastic divider in between minutes and hours. That mean it must be precise which looks hard to do.

Comment

Yes, the internal clock movement/motor is German. It was in the "Walk On" unit from Twemco that I had to fix. THAT was the part that broke. Just because it is German does not mean they sourced something high-end for their product. Cheap can happen anywhere, really.

Comment

Originally posted by TechEditor View Post
          3 months ago I purchased a Twemco QT30T Flip Clock. This week it started doing this: at 7:59, when it should flip to 8:00, it goes to 8:59 then 30 seconds later it goes to 8:00. Didn't do that when new. This is my first Flip Clock. Can you guys explain what is going on like why the 00 refuses to drop on the hour. Note the clock has not been moved in 3 months.

Greg
          The 00 is dropping on the hour and the 8 is dropping early. I've got a TWEMCO QT30T. I've never taken it apart before, but I have to try to figure this out. I'll try to make a video about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	qt30t.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	21023
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Here's a rough video about this clock and how it works.
            It also shows how to take it apart and my ideas on how it could be fixed.

Comment

• Mackey
              Mackey commented
              Editing a comment
              The video may be curious. And show how to disassemble - but my idea of fixing was wrong. I can prove this in another video. See posts below.

Oh, this is good....Mackey to the rescue! Hopefully his investigation will shed some light on a fix.
            Last edited by ; June 11, 2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I almost want to try to induce the error so that I can fix it. But like my old pappy use to say:
              "If it ain't fixed don't break it."

Comment

OK. I completely disassembled the mechanism and learned quite a bit about the operation. There is no way to make an adjustment on the cam. No way at all.
                I'm making a better video about it. But so there's no suspense.... the surest, safest and completest way to correct this is to reposition all the minute digits. These are much easier to do that the smaller clock we're use to.
                I'm making a video of the tear down. I also forced the error and I'm going to show how to fix.

Comment

Nice, thanks for that Mackey! Also good to know that there is a fix albeit we might better call it a workaround?

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                    Nice, thanks for that Mackey! Also good to know that there is a fix albeit we might better call it a workaround?
                    It's definitely a work around unless they put the tiles in wrong at the factory. There are indicators on the wheel where the 00 should be. Additionally the cam can only be in one of two positions. The correct position also marked. You could add material to the cam to stop the early drop, but that's too invasive if the tile position change would work.

Comment

Here's the video of the mechanism tear down and discussion of the fix.

Comment

Is the mechanism different from this one? Or it is the same?

Comment

Originally posted by giedrius View Post
                          Is the mechanism different from this one? Or it is the same?
                          It's very similar in all aspects. The difference primarily is that the clock motor is more compact (and likely better). Overall the Twemco feels more .... I don't know ... solid and reliable. Those brick clocks are known to quit relatively quickly. It's quite likely that the clock is a Chinese design. Twemco mentions a "German made movement" but like Engineer has said, they are likely referring to the Clock motor. Not the mechanism.

To be honest, these do not even approach the quality of our vintage Copals. Just a fact. Not a slam.

Comment

Working...
                          X