Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most common flip clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most common flip clock?

I know some clock models are much more widely available than others, but that got me thinking- is there a consensus on what the "best selling" or "most produced" flip clock was? In many other fields of consumer products, from computers to toasters and everything in between there seems to be an easy answer- but not so for flip clocks, at least as I've been able to dig up.

To that end, i figured I would ask you all for your insight or opinions on this one. Many thanks in advance!

I think you'd have to clarify. Flip clock, Flip clock alarm, flip clock alarm/radio. Also you would have to clarify if you were talking world wide or the United States. The markets were considerably different.

So, in the USA:
    Personally, I think there were big sales in the bargain flip clock alarm radios mid-70s to 80s and I'm pretty confident that Panasonic led the way in that market. Many people couldn't afford the high end clocks (Cameron, lots of the nicer Sonys etc) and the masses would have went for a good deal. Teens wanted the flip clock radios ... Woodgrain was all the rage back then. I bet the answer just very well may be, the
    Panasonic RC-6030 and/or it's related clocks (6035, 6040 and even the 6015). My belief is the reason there aren't even more available than there are now is that many (MANY) people threw those clocks away after the kids bungled up the flip clock mechanism and the LED digitals became available. That is what I get from antidotal evidence when I talk to people in person. When they learn what I'm into many people say, I had one, but I threw it away (dagnabbit).

As far as little clocks or just alarm clocks, there were many Copals out there and many were given away at mattress company outlets and banks - often the 227. It's possible the woodgrain Copal 227 was the biggest one going back then. That's why you rarely see many of the other cooler Copal - they were a little more expensive and weren't commonly given away.

By mid 70s loads of other manufactures started flooding the market which really caused a big spread of available clocks. But that's why I still think the Panasonics and Copals win out, because they were already established. However. As you know by the wide variety out there on ebay, not everyone had those and like I indicated, there were a lot out there and I bet overall there was no run away clock that everyone had. Then suddenly the bottom fell out when LED became all the rage.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

In terms of clock radios, the most common for me are the Lloyds / GE models. I tend to see a lot of Copal 222's as popular clocks, as like Mackey said many of those were given away by drug reps, banks, etc. Copal RP-160's were popular too. Unfortunately, Ken-Techs were very popular too during this time.

Comment

Originally posted by cyb3rbyte View Post
        In terms of clock radios, the most common for me are the Lloyds / GE models. I tend to see a lot of Copal 222's as popular clocks, as like Mackey said many of those were given away by drug reps, banks, etc. Copal RP-160's were popular too. Unfortunately, Ken-Techs were very popular too during this time.
        Interesting. I think that the GEs etc are more prevalent now on the auctions, basically, because they're better built and lasted better than the less costly Panasonics. Yes, of course the 222s - they were given away quite a bit too, it seems.

Overall this question is interesting but not likely to get a definitive answer. It also seems that there were some regional differences in the US (per newspaper ads). It doesn't seem there was a run away got to have flip clock in any event.
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
        X