Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seville Flip Clocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seville Flip Clocks

So I checked my feed for anything out of the ordinary, and spotted a flip clock that wasn't listed as such. It didn't seem terribly remarkable, save for the unusually high price for something that's pretty generic and not working.

Click image for larger version

Name:	898df4cb3bc1a43627d22081ab2cedca.png
Views:	89
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	18011

Then I found another, and then another after that.

Name:	6a2326024bc004f38c7e5ca61da9eb67.png
Views:	76
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	18012

Name:	a209b0671a5dd2490974ac3129db2aaf.png
Views:	76
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	18013

I'm unfamiliar with the "Seville" brand, though I get the impression that it's one of the many flip clock brands that came and went in the 1970's for the various department store chains of the era. What has me stumped is why clocks so "plain" and broken are commanding prices approaching Copal prices. Perhaps I've just gotten an unusual sampling here, but that's quite a coincidence if that is the case.

What do you think? Pricing fluke, or is there something genuinely special here that I'm just not seeing?

As always, many thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions on this one.

For those interested in the actual eBay listings, they can be found HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Comment

Absolute pricing fluke. These have the awful Sankyo movement in them.

Comment

I do like the looks of the 3rd one, but possibly someone just putting a price up there cause they feel it's gold and other people coincidentally copying them for 'it must be worth at least that'?

I could be wrong, but it looks more like the 'Rhythm' movement, which is also to be found in the Ken-Tech clocks. The movement is fairly reliable in my experience, have had no major issues with it so far other than the tabs which hold the flaps, they need to be fixed for every single clock you encounter.

Comment

That makes me wonder if they both (Rhythm and Ken-Tech) used the same movement, but used different motors?

Comment

Don't recall if I ever had the joy of opening up a Ken-Tech clock. Some of the models they have are a 100% copy of some of the Rhythm clocks out there so it would make sense that the gear unit would be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer View Post
              Absolute pricing fluke. These have the awful Sankyo movement in them.
              It is a crazy coincidence then! Wow, what are the odds of that? Thanks for the insight!

Comment

Working...
              X