Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

neon bulb flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neon bulb flicker

I just changed neon bulbs in two different flip clocks and the bulbs are bright but flicker. Is this normal? One bulb I put a new resistor on and the other I didnt.

Are they supposed to flicker a little?

Thanks.

If they are flickering it means they are not getting enough "strike voltage" to start the glow and remain stable.

What kind of clock are you installing these in?

What voltage is going to the new lamps?

What lamp type are you using? NE-2H, 2E, 2U?

What value resistor did you use?

Did you remove the old resistor?

Comment

First of all I am a total laymen at this, no expertise at all just a hack. My first clock I did was a Juliette late 70's or early eighties model FDC 1086 clock radio. I wish I could answer your questions, the new bulb I installed had the resistor already attached to it with copper leads. This clock barely flickers at all. My Soundesign model 3483 flickers alot. I used the old resistor in this one, could that be it? Also is there a fire danger with these things after Ive done my fiddling?

Comment

No problem. It's a learning experience.

Replacing these lamps is not always plug and play.

If you have a new lamp, but used the old resistor then the old resistor may be the wrong value. Do you know how to read a resistor's value with the colored bands? This can help: Resistor Color Code Calculator - 4 band, 5 band, 6 band | DigiKey Electronics

Fire danger, probably not, as long as you insulated your work from touching anything conductive in the clock cabinet.

Comment

• Gary1957
          Gary1957 commented
          Editing a comment
          One thing I was careful was insulating the bare wires. Thanks for your reply. Yes its a huge learning curve, if I had the money I would go to school to learn but one year is like 23,000 so this will have to remain just a hobby. Take care!

If you need any help with this just make sure to ask. Post pictures to show us what you're looking at and that will also go a long way to help us help you.

Comment

• Gary1957
          Gary1957 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank You
      Working...
      X