Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flip Clock Fans steers a film maker away from using a flip clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flip Clock Fans steers a film maker away from using a flip clock?

Click image for larger version  Name:	newhaven.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.8 KB ID:	17202

I don't know anything about a person who made a comment on one of my YouTube videos about the New Haven Flip Clocks. But he was asking where he could find one of these for a short film that he was making.
    Ultimately I steered him clear of using a flip clock (blasphemy). But you can decide if I did the right thing.
    I'm going to show you the exchange here.

From YouTube Comments

Click image for larger version  Name:	S.png Views:	0 Size:	2.4 KB ID:	17203
    Siddhant Mogaveera
    Hey where can I get myself one of these? I wanted a digital clock for a short film but the aesthetics of the film is pretty vintage so a modern digital clock just didn't fit so then i did some research and came across this video and this is just perfect. I'd be so so grateful if you can tell how I can get my hands on one of these!

Click image for larger version  Name:	b.png Views:	0 Size:	2.3 KB ID:	17204
    Bryant Mehrabi1 day ago
    Does it have to be antique? Wood?

Click image for larger version  Name:	S.png Views:	0 Size:	2.4 KB ID:	17205
    Siddhant Mogaveera
    @Bryant Mehrabi Yeah basically something that can pull off a 50s look as the film is based around the 50s

Click image for larger version  Name:	fcf.png Views:	0 Size:	2.9 KB ID:	17206
    Flipclockfans
    Well, the movie "Hail Caesar" was set in the 50's and they used a GE flip clock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZPE44PQ-rM It seemed to have worked for them! It's the GE Model 8113 and are not crazy expensive and can be found on eBay.

These New Haven flip clocks are extremely hard to find. I mean VERY hard. They're from 1936-1939 (the Depression Era). I don't think many people would have had one in the 1950s.

Another you might consider is the Seth Thomas Speed Read. It was used in the "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwFsVNN9Ric

You may also want to consider the clock type that was DEFINITELY prevalent in the 1950s - the cyclometer or what many call a "Rolling Wheel" clock. These were everywhere. Here's an example from eBay. Searching for "Tymeter Numechron" will show you more. https://www.ebay.com/itm/224318595563
    That is the type of clock that they most probably would have been using in the 1950s. It's stylish, very retro and can be found in wood.

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S.png Views:	0 Size:	2.4 KB ID:	17207
    Siddhant Mogaveera
    @Flipclockfans The tymeter numechron fits perfectly for my short film. Thank you so so much I seriously can't thank you enough. This helped a lot!!!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

The Tymeters are little tanks for the most part I've found. It should look good for the film, and after the fact will be a nice little clock for them too.

Comment

I wish he’d let me know what film it is. Doubt we’ll get any consulting credit.
      I actually had a novelist ask me about a clock to include in their book. We decided on a Panasonic RC-6003. Never did find out about the end result of that either.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
      X