Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solari Cifra 3 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solari Cifra 3 problem

Hello... I recently purchased a cifra 3 on ebay. Original model. Europe. It ran for about a week then stopped advancing the numbers. I opened the case and plugged it in. The motor runs correctly, but doesn't advance the mnumbers. Any thoughts on what might be awry?
    Thanks!
    J

Hi! Welcome to to this wonderful forum!

I am not experienced with this clock at all, but what you're describing sounds as if a gearwheel is potentially damaged. The motor should have a gearwheel sticking out, this gearwheel connect (in)directly with the clockwork, driving it. When the clock is not advancing or making any other (weird) sounds, it seems as if though you should look there for the cause of the issue.

Some pictures might also help, let us know how it goes!

Comment

Having looked at it, it appears that there is something wrong with the minute mechanism. It no longer advances when I try to set the clock and it no longer advances when the motor is running... any thoughts? It does advance when I manually pull down the small hammer below the two springs that return the mechanism to the wheels.
      Ok... I will try to take pictures.

Comment

jdmfine Hello and welcome...

I have worked on quite a few of these older (1966 to 1970) Cifra 3 models as well as the battery operated modern version that has very similar internal components.

The main problem with these is old grease causing the mechanism for the minutes to stall. There is an oval-shaped wheel that pushes against a Delrin (Nylon) wheel and usually that drags against the wheel. Another issue is also lubrication related to the main shaft that the cylinders (with the digits) rides upon. There are 2 gears (one for minutes, one for hours) and those can also start to drag.

The last one I worked on was from 1966 and had such advanced wear in the minute selection mechanism that it could not be saved. Part of it rides in the plastic end cover and the hole for it was worn out and caused to much play before the cam would engage the gear to advance the minutes.

Comment

I think that may be right. The hole in the plastic end cover looks worn, at least for the minute selection mechanism. I think I can find a solution for the end cover... How do I check the other issues?

Comment

The only way to check it to take it apart and inspect the mechanism as it tries to move. You can watch the cams and gears working together. They are all on one side...if you are facing the clock face everything is on the right side...motor, gears, everything. If you do choose to add new lubrication make sure to not add to much.

I will look to see if I have some pictures of the previous ones I worked on.

The mechanism is cumbersome to work on when it is out of the frame and cabinet so work slowly and carefully.

Comment

Working...
            X