Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Electronic flip clock model 8125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Electronic flip clock model 8125

Hi beautiful community of Flip Clock Fans

I have recently purchased a flip clock by General Electronic model 8125 as mentioned in the title.
    I have few questions regarding this model and I was wondering if some of you could help me sort them out.

Firstly, does any of you have this model? and functioning?

Secondly, if so does yours also make 'fridge' kind of noise when it is plugged? and is there anyway that I could possibly fix it? I think it is from the motor but I would just not love having a clock buzzing next to my bed...

Last and most, has anybody try to customize it and turn it into battery running base instead of having to plug into the power? It would just be awesome to battery running instead of draining the power from the plug.

That is all. I am fairly new to this kind of clock but I want to dive into it and eager to learn more.

Thanks for your time to read and looking forward for some answers!

Aidot

May 15, 2016 - Heres a vintage General Electric flip clock Model 8125 from the 1970s! This retro electric alarm clock has a black clock face with a white plastic rectangular case. Perfect for dorm room, office or bedside! In good, tested, working condition (both clock and alarm), the clock has minor scuffs and

Hello and welcome!

The motor used in these is usually a GTC or Telechron S-type field-coil motor. The noise you hear are the reactive discs (reacting to the directional magnetic field) getting loose inside the clock motor casing. These motor cases are very difficult to open and service. Once they start making the noise you should start looking for a replacement as they are only refurbished by a few companies since no new motors are made anymore. I have serviced a few of these motors and they just are not worth the time, at least for me.

I do not know of anyone converting one of these to battery power. A battery powered version would most likely not have enough torque to power the movement for any length of time.

It likely has this motor: http://telechronclock.com/page6.html

New stock...while supplies last!! M3635: 60 cycles x 3.6RPM. Replaces: M3633, M3520. M3518, M3481, M3479, M3476, M3404, M3394, M3378, M3333, M3331, M3313, M3296, M3162. M3156, M3154 M3141, M3083, M30

Comment

Working...
    X