Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to maximize longevity of a flip clock (keep running or use sparingly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to maximize longevity of a flip clock (keep running or use sparingly)

Hi, I new new to this forum and new to flip clocks, in general. I have a vintage Sony TFM C660W clock radio The clock digits are on more of a dial that turns, rather than a true flip clock. It groans audibly when the time changes but seems to be in good working condition. I have little knowledge about electronics in general and want to maximize it's lifespan. From your experience, is it best to keep the clock plugged in and running to maintain it's longevity? Or, is it best to only plug it in periodically to enjoy it? My concern is I have little chance of repairing it if it stops working. Are there are things I can do to help maintain it? Thanks, David

Hello,

The TFM-660W (and TFM-770W) suffers from a fragile motor assembly that will, at some point, fail. They used 3 different induction motors (2 of them were Telechron knockoffs from Omron) during the production of this model in 1975-1976 and all of them were unreliable. Emerson also used the same movement in one of their models.

The groaning you hear are the cams that interlock to move the cylinders. They get dusty/dirty and when they interface with each other they can make noise. It'll need to be cleaned, but do not lubricate the cams and interlocking gears on the cylinders. They are designed to be dry.

As for preserving it and leaving it unplugged...not sure why as it is designed to be used to tell time...and play some tunes. There are quite a few for sale on Ebay so you might be able to harvest one or two for parts, but most are sold as non-working. Unless it has immense sentimental value, I would just use it until it stops and then maybe attempt to swap some parts if you're attached to it.
    Last edited by ; August 24, 2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vetrad View Post
      Hi, I new new to this forum and new to flip clocks, in general. I have a vintage Sony TFM C660W clock radio The clock digits are on more of a dial that turns, rather than a true flip clock. It groans audibly when the time changes but seems to be in good working condition. I have little knowledge about electronics in general and want to maximize it's lifespan. From your experience, is it best to keep the clock plugged in and running to maintain it's longevity? Or, is it best to only plug it in periodically to enjoy it? My concern is I have little chance of repairing it if it stops working. Are there are things I can do to help maintain it? Thanks, David
      Good questions! I'm with Engineer. Unless the clock has sentimental value you should use it in my opinion. That being said, I have lots of clocks and less than 1% of them are running at this time. I check out my antique clocks from time to time but don't keep them running.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts about this. If I understand correctly, there seems to be a fatal flaw in the motor design. Yeah, it does have sentimental value to me, which is why I am keeping it. I'll probably just use it sparingly while it is still working. I'll try to clean if out with an air duster as best I can. We will see how long it lasts!

Comment

Working...
        X