Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cosmo Time - Mysterious little company who made flip clocks in mid-1970s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmo Time - Mysterious little company who made flip clocks in mid-1970s

NOTE: I'm working on the following as an article as well as an upcoming YouTube Video. I'm posting here just for your information and to see what you think!

Click image for larger version  Name:	cosmo-flip.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	13224
    It never ceases to amaze me how obscure and obtuse information about flip clocks can be. Recently I've seen several sellers tying to unload their Cosmo Time Flip Clocks on eBay and Etsy.com for crazy high prices. I've looked at these just out of curiosity, primarily because I thought it crazy that they were priced so high. But finally I decided to try to discover some background information about this Cosmo Time company and their clocks.

What a mess.

But finally, after brushing up a little on my Spanish, I was able to pin down more or less, who, what where and why there was a Cosmo Time Corporation, and what may have become of them.

Google searches, not surprisingly were helpful, but only to help fill in the gaps. There's no freely available "History of the Cosmo Time Corporation" on the internet. It was Newspapers.com that coughed up an article in the Spanish language newspaper, El Miami Herald (Miami, Florida) 06 Jul 1980 page 12, that helped me learn the basics about this company.

History of Cosmo Time Corporation
    Cosmo Time Corporation was based in Miami, Florida and founded in 1975 by a group of Cuban immigrants, Joel Newman, Victor Suárez and Jorge Rodrigues. These three men left Juliette Electronics of Miami (as you may know - also makers of flip clocks - primarily flip clock radios) to form their own company. The company initially focused on the manufacture of clocks and lamps in their Miami factory. But in 1978 they went back to their roots (from Juliette) and began the production of digital clocks. Cosmo Time opened an electronics plant in Hong Kong initially, then moved production to China (because the labor costs were cheaper, according to the article).

Their business plan seemed to be to keep their clocks priced lower than their competitors (who were, according to the article: General Electric, Talley Industries, and Sunbeam). For this reason, according to company president, Joel Newman, their lowest price digital clock retailed for $9.95 which he claimed was 10 dollars lower than their competitors.

What happened from here becomes a little obscure. But we can determined the company's address from online information from the Federal Communications Commission:
    Cosmo Time Corporation
    Full Company Details: Cosmo Time Corporation - CAZ
    Company Code: CAZ
    Address:
    Cosmo Time Corporation
    16501 NW 16 Court
    Miami, FL 33169

The code CAZ is called a Grantee Code and was assigned to Cosmo Time Corporation as the prefix of the FCC Registration Numbers that they would be assigned for the production of wireless Click image for larger version  Name:	cosmo-flip2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.9 KB ID:	13226 equipment. Each approved piece of equipment would have a unique identifier, but all would include "CAZ." Their last application with the FCC was on March 3 1990.

Now what's curious, is that there was another business formed in 3/17/1983 called "Cosmo Communications Corporation."
    According to Radiomuseum.org Cosmo Communications Corporation was an "Importer of far-east made consumer electronics." Radiomuseum's information corresponds with that from SEC documents found online and lists the corporation's address as "16501 N.W. 16 Court, Miami, Florida 33169" - the same as Cosmo Time - It doesn't take a private detective to figure that the two were very closely related. Similar name, same address - too much of a coincidence.

The newspaper article (1980) questions what the next step would be for Cosmo Time Corporation, suggesting that perhaps the company would eventually go public (sell shares on the stock exchange). It is likely that is what they did in 1983 under the name "Cosmo Communications Corporation."

Eventually, there is no more mention of "Cosmo Time Corporation" - it seems it was absorbed by "Cosmo Communications Corporation" no later than 1990 (the time of the last FCC application), possibly earlier. Further investigation reveals that the company vacated the property at 16501 NW 16th Ct (this is now occupied by an unrelated company called "SG Glass Industries LLC").

Today, according to Bloomberg.com "Cosmo Communications Corporation imports, markets, and distributes consumer electronic products. The Company's products include televisions, VCRs, digital alarm clocks, quartz alarm clocks, quartz wall clocks, clock radios, and combination products such as clock radio telephones. Cosmo also imports, markets, and distributes a line of audio products."
    The company headquarters is located in Canada (Unit 2, 55 Travail Road Markham, ON Canada). At the time of this writing, their website unfortunately had been hacked.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cosmo-flip3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.4 KB ID:	13225
    So turning our attention back to the Cosmo Time flip clocks, we see that they were made in Japan (no mention of Japan in the newspaper article). However, as many of you may realize, it was very common for Japanese makers of flip clocks to make the clocks, brand them with the US company's name, who would then import and sell them to the flip clock hungry masses in the United States.

Perhaps all this information does nothing for you. I'm sorry about that, but for me, I like to know a little history about my flip clocks. Although, I don't yet own a Cosmo flip clock, but ... time will tell.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

I had been wondering about this oddball for awhile now too. You come across them on ebay every now and then, sometimes even new in box. I don't like the looks of them, they look too new, but they are odd and interesting.

Nice write up!

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
      I had been wondering about this oddball for awhile now too. You come across them on ebay every now and then, sometimes even new in box. I don't like the looks of them, they look too new, but they are odd and interesting.

Nice write up!
      I know. Any NIB catches my eye but to me, the Cosmo time clocks look about as good (or bad) as the Ken-Tech clocks. Probably made by the same manufacturer.
      One was sold on Etsy and the buyer said, "Works ok but is better than nothing." Personally, I don't want a clock that is "ok" or better than nothing. I shoot for "good to awesome." But seriously, I've had my hands on Ken-Techs, they seem pretty junky to me. I'd take a Cosmo Time if someone gave it to me, though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ok.JPG Views:	0 Size:	23.5 KB ID:	13231

Comment

See the video

Comment

are there any images available of the other (non flip)clocks they produced/sold?

EDIT: Google brought me some more information, even another flip clock? See attached link

Comment

Now that you mention it, it looks a bit like Copal, not 100%, but very close

Comment

Oh man. You think someone paid $150 for it? Wow. It's a seller's market out there.

Comment

Nah, I don't think it sold. There's actually a same one on ebay right now. They are asking 100/150 USD. What mostly happens, in my opinion, is that people look up on ebay what they are being offered (not sold!) for and they follow that. If you look a bit further/deeper, you will see that they're not actually selling very well for that kind of money

Ah well, If I can find one NIB for around 50 US$, I might take my chance on it, just out of curiosity.

Comment

I wonder which came first cause they sure do look a lot like each other
                  商品説明 xvpbvx 60Hzにて1日程回してみましたが基準とした時計と同じ時刻を示していました。ブザーも動作しましたが40年近く前の品で50Hzでのチェックもしていません。在庫中や輸送中の振動による影響による状態の変化含め現状優先での取引をお願いします。注意事項トラ

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                    I wonder which came first cause they sure do look a lot like each other
                    Nice. Thanks for finding this. This backs up what was saying about the movements being Sankyo. It's clearly the same clock (course the green is cooler).

Click image for larger version

Name:	sankyo.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	13280

Comment

Working...
                    X