Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Howard Miller George Nelson Arthur Umanoff Flip Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Howard Miller George Nelson Arthur Umanoff Flip Clock

We're here to discuss a vintage flip clock that flip clock fans usually call "The Howard Miller Flip Clock." However, on online auctions you will see this clock referred to as some variation of: the Rare Vintage Arthur Umanoff George Nelson Howard Miller Flip Clock. In recent years these clocks have sold for exceedingly high prices upwards of 500 dollars and even over $1000 dollars. Why, exactly would these clocks be priced so high, when were they made? What are they made of ... "gold?, why do they have 3 men's names?, Are they really exceedingly rare and finally ... are they overpriced?

For simplicity sake, we're going to call this clock the Howard Miller Flip Clock. Period. I'll explain the other names in a minute. It's curious to note that there was another flip clock produced by Howard Miller around the same time period ... we'll discuss that one and give it a name later, I don't know. Maybe we'll call it "Fred."

Just look at it. The Howard Miller Flip Clock, if you have an interest in flip clocks, or basically, time keeping in general this clock gets your attention. It looks vintage and sort of contemporary at the same time. When I first saw it I couldn't decide if it looked like an up-cycled flip clock that you might see on Esty.com or if it was a long lost early flip clock from the 1930s.

[Note: you'll need to see the full article for details about the naming and the other Herman Miller Flip Clock.]

In the Newspapers
    The Howard Miller Flip Clock first showed up in newspaper advertising right around 1969. Yes, 1969. It's vintage but not exactly an antique clock at all. Here we see the clock in this newspaper advertisement from The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 30, 1969. They're calling it the "Howard Miller Digital Clock (electric). We have a video out about when so-called digital clocks became known as flip clocks - there’s a YouTube video about that if you're interested. In this ad from the the Fort Lauderdale News, June 16, 1971 you can see they called it the "Howard Miller Plexiglass Cylinder Digital Clock." What is it with this clock and the naming confusion? In 1971 it was still priced at $55.00. Adjusted for inflation, $55.00 in 1971 is equal to about $355 in 2020. That was pricey for flip clock at that time. On the same page in this newspaper, we can see the common GE model 8114 going for a measly $9.87. So as you can see, the Howard Miller Flip Clock arrived on the scene about the time all the other makers were putting out flip clocks. The clock's run seems to have slowed or ended around 1972 since no advertisement were found after than time. As you noticed from these ads, the cylinder of the clock is not glass but Plexiglas. While PLEXIGLAS® was registered as a brand in 1933, it's use in the making of clocks did not occur significantly until the mid to late 1960s. The wood base and ends of this clock are said to oiled rosewood - not a cheap wood these days.

So why does this clock seem to be selling so high? I think that it's possible some people are mistaking the clock for an antique. It does resemble very early flip clocks, the New Haven Flip Clocks which were produced around 1937-1939.

Click image for larger version  Name:	newhaven.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.1 KB ID:	12953

The Enigmatic Howard Miller Flip Clock. Also known as the George Nelson, Arthur Umanoff Howard Miller Digital Plexiglas Cylinder Digital clock, or Clock 4620 - an expensive clock in the day which has only gotten more expensive over the years. Whether the clock is worth a 1000 dollars or not is up to the buyers. It's probably not as rare as some think. Personally, I wouldn't pay a grand for it because I don't think it will hold that value. But, that's just me. As they say, "it's worth what someone would pay for it." Personally, I'd love to add this to the Flip Clock Fans collection. But for now, I'll just keep looking at it online.

See the full article for more details - including a little history about the wood used.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

I had assumed (having never owned one) it was glass for the cylinder. I could see plexiglas being a selling point in terms of durability.

Comment

Good write up, thanks!

If I can get my hands on a decent size transparent plexiglass tube, I'm going to have a stab at making a clock like this myself, whether it be with wood or with plastic (3d printing?), no idea yet. The whole assembly does not look very complicated.

I might start making them in series as to sell them, just cut up a few old Copal clocks ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Mackey
        Mackey commented
        Editing a comment
        I had been thinking the same thing. Great minds ...

Finally Finished the Video about the Howard Miller Flip Clock.

Comment

Thanks for that, good write-up (or something)!

Comment

Well .... would you look at that!
          Someone went and done it on Etsy.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	doneit.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	13153

Etsy.com Link

Comment

Nice! Although not exactly how I had it in mind... You need to take of the left end cap to set the time I guess? Ah well, nice that someone went through the effort though.

I checked and the translucent cylindrical tubing is not too expensive in China. Now to wait for when I have a 3D printer and, oh yeah, time, to make the other parts needed and we're good to go.

Should be in the next 2 years or so

Comment

Here it is on the cover of the 1971 Howard Miller brochure/catalog.

Name:	IMG_6358.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	22201

...and where it is featured on in the inside of the brochure:

Name:	IMG_6359.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	22202

...and the price list from the brochure that shows it was $55 in 1971:

Name:	IMG_6360.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	22203
              I have the aluminum version. Is there any maintenance I should perform before running the clock for any length of time?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Willmore View Post
                I have the aluminum version. Is there any maintenance I should perform before running the clock for any length of time?
                Wow. Great stuff! There really is no need for any preventive maintenance on a flip flock in my opinion. If it ain't broke don't fix it. It will let you know if it needs work.
                Again, just my opinion.

Comment

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about the movement that powers the HM Plexiglas cylinder flip clock, like a model name or number, or an alternative vintage motor that could be used (if I could find one)? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comment

As far as I am aware, it is a clockwork and motor from a Copal model 201 (or 101), but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info, I'll check it out. And yes, if anyone has any thoughts about the compatibility of the Copal 201 or101 or has another thought, I'd love to know.

Comment

Working...
                      X