Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic RC-6551

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic RC-6551

I'm new so please bear with me and I hope I'm not asking my question in the wrong location/area in the forum...my apologies if I did!

I have an RC-6551 I've been working on and thanks to your YouTube videos I was able to clean the clock motor mechanism and got it running again! I need to replace the two clock lights but when I was looking for the light for the rotating drum tuner it appears to be some sort of fuse type bulb that clips inside the tuning drum. There is what looks like a fuse holder inside the tuning drum...my problem is, there was no bulb in that holder and I have no idea what type bulb to get or even if there is such a bulb at all. Its quite a mystery, seems if it was just broke there would have been pieces inside the case. I know this because I purchased the radio new myself when I was in the Air-Force stationed in Thailand in 1973...maybe there was never a light in it...I just can't remember. I can find photos of the RC-6551 with the dial lighted and it would have to be from the inside of that tuning drum.

I would be most great-full for any help locating a bulb of this type, I have included a photo of the fuse-looking clip inside the tuning drum and I'm only speculating thats where the bulb would be located...Thanks!

Oh yeah. That’s a place for a lamp (bulb). They’re called “fuse lamps”. You’ll need to turn on the radio and the test to see what voltage is being sent there. You’ll be able to buy a regular fuse lamp or get an LED fuse lamp to go in there probably. I don’t have any part numbers or specs for that model.
    Thanks for sharing this!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

• tldees
      tldees commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mackey! Kinda thought thats what it was...looking for my VOM & soldering iron, we recently moved can't find anything LOL!

I think these may do the job, if I'm wrong they'll be a fuse not a light!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse lamp.png
Views:	326
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	10699

Pay no attention to the shipping cost, that's to Australia.

Comment

• tldees
      tldees commented
      Editing a comment
      Just realized you sent this to me...I'm on the brain-dead side of infinity...what ever that means...I found the lamp at Amazon with one-day-shipping. I also found a reference at Antique Radio forum that its a 6.3V @ .25A...I did find many LED's but wanted as close to OEM as I could get. I think the LED's would be too bright. Will post some photos when I get'er going!

• davidm
      davidm commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries, I've found the easiest way to follow new posts is to turn on notifications, glad you found those lamps.
      You probably wouldn't want it in your bedroom if you put LEDs in it !

I located notification settings so should be all set...maybe! I found the perfect lamp for the RC-6551 dial at Amazon https://tinyurl.com/woqgj9g
    I tried an LED...it was so bright you couldn't read the dial, no kidding! And BTW that drum dial is glass!

Comment

• dpkennedy
      dpkennedy commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks Good. Do you know anything about the other bulbs ? For the time, date and alarm time ? They look like different bulbs, not fuse bulbs.
      How easy is it to access and replace the bulbs ?

That looks terrific, congratulations!

Comment

• davidm
      davidm commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll second that comment, it's got everything the 6551, the day, date, time, am/fm radio with a decent size speaker & good looks, very very nice.

Wow...thank! Had this radio since new, purchased back in 1973 while in the Air-Force stationed in Thailand. Just needed some TLC...little more work still, waiting on the bulb/resister lights for the clock

Comment

Nice work tldees !
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Strong work on this ! Cheers
        shane

Comment

Refresh my memory, are the neons for the time green or the normal orange like most clocks that require neons. I thought they were green as well??
          Thanks,
          Shane

Comment

Working...
          X