Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RC-6010 BC Panasonic clock Radio motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC-6010 BC Panasonic clock Radio motor

Hi from Australia,
    I have a Panasonic RC-6010 BC and the flip drive motor is tight and will not spin freely.
    i pulled it off and tried to get some oil to main motor bearings, is runs if I give motor spin but won’t start on its own. I know the bearings should be self lubricating sintered bronze bearings but over time they get dry.
    Any advice, should I carefully pull motor completely apart or can you buy a new motor (long shot)
    Attached Files

AFAIK first you have to clean and then you have to lubricate.

I clean by spraying isopropyl alcohol through the rotor holes towards the central bearing.

Then drip sewing machine oil through same holes in the same manner and gently spin by hand until it rotates freely, repeat if necessary, wipe off excess.

If you have access to the central shaft on the other side of the motor before the gears then I think it would make sense to lubricate that too.

Some spray WD 40 instead of IPA and other oils used are synthetic 0W-30 oil and even 3-in-1 oil.

As far as I know it's not advisable to try to pull the motor apart and you shouldn't need to buy a new motor unless it's bearings are so worn that they are still noisy after doing the above.

I think you are correct that the bearings are bronze, some have described them as brass which I would think would be too soft a metal.

There are many different methods described on this forum, that's what I do now and it works for me, your mileage may vary

Comment

ozengines There are no true “bearings” except if that’s what you’re calling the one central shaft and the brass bushing that it rides in. It’s a very basic (and efficient and long lasting) design. Davidm has pointed you in the right direction.
      This video shows this in detail.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
      X