Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ken-Tech T-507 Mechanical Digital Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken-Tech T-507 Mechanical Digital Clock

Click image for larger version

Name:	kentechT507.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	10084
    Was gifted one of these recently. Another interesting mechanical clock that hides as a larger LED display. Each
    digit segment is it's own neon bulb, a synchronous motor drives a cylinder that touches contacts that turn on and off each segment. No am/pm indicator. So far mine has all the bulbs working and is keeping time. Has anyone seen this particular mechanism in other clocks?
    This video on youtube shows what it looks like on the inside:

Very interesting clock, ahead of it's time?

I bet that's a collectors item.

Comment

Lumitime copy? The Lumitime clocks work in the exact same way I recently discovered when I got my hands on a broken one which I needed to open up anyway....

Comment

That's an interesting clock. I keep finding myself getting into these "other-than-flip-clock" digital clocks. It's intriguing how they came up with ways to digitally display the time. What cracks me up is that in advertisements of many early digital clocks, they refer to them as "space-age" or "Computer Age" clocks in spite of there being absolutely no computing at all! Just electromechanical geewizery. Thanks for posting this RetroFlip
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Looking into this further it seems that these were out around 1976 and they were actually big into promoting these as "computer-type" numerals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ken-Tech_T-507_Albuquerque_Journal_Tue__Apr_26__1977.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	10099

Newspaper clippings:

Ken-Tech Digital ClocksKen-Tech Digital Clocks Wed, Aug 4, 1976 – Page 25 · The Decatur Daily Review (Decatur, Illinois) · Newspapers.com

Ken-Tech Model T-507 digital clockKen-Tech Model T-507 digital clock Wed, Apr 13, 1977 – Page 150 · Southern Illinoisan (Carbondale, Illinois) · Newspapers.com

Ken-Tech Dital Alarm Model T-507Ken-Tech Dital Alarm Model T-507 Tue, Apr 26, 1977 – Page 16 · Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, New Mexico) · Newspapers.com
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
            Lumitime copy? The Lumitime clocks work in the exact same way I recently discovered when I got my hands on a broken one which I needed to open up anyway....
            Which model was it? I'm still learning about lumitime and there seems to be some information that they did not universally use the same mechanism over time. Some are shutter based, which I see called a occlusion mechanism.

Someone opening a lumitime with shutters:

And after you mentioned it, here's a C11 with similar lighting of segments:

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
            Looking into this further it seems that these were out around 1976 and they were actually big into promoting these as "computer-type" numerals.
            Cool to see the ads, 1976 seems the sweet spot for these sort of clocks, fun to hunt down as they often sold simply as digital alarm clocks.

My favorite so far is the Digi-tel telechron, if you see the segments sub divided, that's a sign it could be one of these, they are in some 76' ge alarm clocks. Two bulbs backlight the digits and I'd like to try replacing at least one of the clocks with color changeable leds.

Last edited by RetroFlip; January 5, 2020, 06:42 PM. Reason: Adding another video.

Comment

Performa I opened up the 507 to read the markings on the clock,

kendale technology corp
              NO-0-JEWELS
              PATENTS 10
              KTC-125 JAPAN
              in red ink: 36090719

I turned up this patent:
              https://patents.google.com/patent/US...orp)+(3759030)

Click image for larger version  Name:	patent3-759-030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	17222
              Searching 'digital clock' in the time period we are talking about seems to produce quite patents relating to the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
                Performa I opened up the 507 to read the markings on the clock,

kendale technology corp
                NO-0-JEWELS
                PATENTS 10
                KTC-125 JAPAN
                in red ink: 36090719

I turned up this patent:
                https://patents.google.com/patent/US...orp)+(3759030)

Click image for larger version Name:	patent3-759-030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	17222
                Searching 'digital clock' in the time period we are talking about seems to produce quite patents relating to the subject.
                This is awesome information! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X