Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seth Thomas Speed Read like in Thomas Crown affair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seth Thomas Speed Read like in Thomas Crown affair.

Hello all, looking for a Seth Thomas speed read clock like the one in the Steve McQueen movie Thomas Crown affair. Would anyone know the model number of that clock? Thanks!!

Not seen the film, but looking at photo from it I can see a bit of a Seth Thomas clock. I'd guess it was the E039-000 Beige or E039-001 Walnut. There's a couple listed on eBay at the moment, e.g.,

Is this the one you were looking for?

Comment

Yes, it’s that style but not exactly. Thanks!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seth_Thomas_Speed_Read_The_ Thomas_Crown_Affair.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	6256
        It seems the clock is a 1967 Model (see the newspaper advertisement below). The image above is a screen capture from The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) at about 8 mins and 50 sec into the film. The movie uses split screens often as a device and the clock appeared at the top.
        The clock is unusual from most other Seth Thomas Speed Reads as it doesn't have the "Seth Thomas Speed-Read" isolated from the rest of the clock as in most other models (see below). I'm about positive this is the 1967 version. In the Advertisement it talks about a "leatherette case."

Click image for larger version  Name:	speed-read.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	6257
        From an eBay Listing

Click image for larger version  Name:	The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Jun_4__1967_pg_612.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	6258
        The Los Angeles Times Sun Jun 4 1967 pg 612

Click image for larger version  Name:	back of clock.JPG Views:	125 Size:	18.8 KB ID:	6270
        screen capture from the movie of the back of the clock

------- later edit (7/13/2022) --- I just wanted to add for the record ------

I have discovered that the clock came out in 1966 and is the model 800

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225203014DocumentPhoto7918.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	25399
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

The following is a short clip from the movie where the clock appears.

That whole split screen concept must have been thought to be pretty artsy. It struck me as a bit annoying. But I like looking through the movie see all the old 60s cars. It was set in "modern" day so there were all these period cars in the film.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1968-cars-001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	6266Click image for larger version  Name:	1968-cars-002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	6268Click image for larger version  Name:	1968-cars-003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.3 KB ID:	6263Click image for larger version  Name:	1968-cars-004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.0 KB ID:	6265Click image for larger version  Name:	1968-cars-005.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.5 KB ID:	6267Click image for larger version  Name:	1968-cars-006.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	6264
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Mackey thanks so much! I was thinking it had a grained leather look to it and now you confirmed it for me. I love the movie to and search for the ones like this that have the background stuff that reminds me of being a kid. My search has started.

Comment

Working...
            X