Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interested in buying my first flip clock! Copal or other reliable brand. Advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in buying my first flip clock! Copal or other reliable brand. Advice needed.

Hi there,

I have wanted a flip clock ever since I saw one as a little girl, but I have been a bit intimidated by the cost and the many different brands out there. I am afraid that I will spend a lot of money on one, only for it to stop running a few months later. Where do you recommend buying refurbished/restored clocks? One shop that I found that looks nice is Flipclock.eu. I also talked to a friendly seller on eBay (flipclokfun), but he does not have anything for sale right now. The restored clocks tend to be more expensive. Is it worth it for the peace of mind?

I am looking for a clock with an alarm, visible flywheel, 12 hour clock, and no radio. I would prefer a compact clock, as my night table is fairly small and is hogged by a milk glass lamp. I like the look of the Copal 227, Copal 228, Copal 229, Caslon 701, and Copal 702. Copal 227 and Caslon 701 might be my favorites. I particularly like the font on the Caslon 701, and that nice muted green color. Are there any other models or brands that you think I would like? I liked the look of some of the Citizen and Seiko clocks with flywheels and second counters, but I don't know if those brands are reliable. Are there any brands that I should avoid entirely?

Lastly, I don't think I should spend more than $200 on a clock. Do you think I can get what I want for less than that, or am I being unrealistic?

Thank you! As you can see, I really don't know what I am doing! I just want to get back that comfy feeling that I remember from looking over at a flip clock while falling asleep.

Jocelyn

Hi Jocelyn,

Welcome to this wonderful and quirky forum! Nice to hear that you are thinking to get 'into' flipclocks, but beware, it can be addictive

Flipclock.eu is mine, so I won't comment on that specifically. In general, if you find pleasure in opening up devices and finding out how they work and how to get them going again and also handling some basic tools, there is no issue with buying an unrestored specimen of a Copal clock and doing it up yourself. You can have a lot of fun and potentially save yourself some money.
    When that is not your thing, I would certainly recommend buying a restored clock for most sellers (certainly not all of them) that sell flip clocks (for high prices) simply polish them up, plug them in, test it and put it up for sale. This is something that you can do yourself, you just need to find a clock that fits that profile.

I sell the 'lower end' Seiko clocks regularly, lower end does not mean they are any less than the higher end Seiko clocks, it just means they are less desirable than some of the Seiko clocks which have the Copal clockwork and motor inside. These Seiko clocks very much so have a 70s look and work like a charm and I could definitively help you there below US$ 200.

This is just my 2 cents. Perhaps someone here on the forum is willing to part with a Copal clock which has been done up already within your budget.

I do have some clocks laying about with cosmetical flaws that can be done up within your budget. I usually don't do these up for they will not meet my standards when finished

Comment

You can certainly get one of those models for under $200, sometimes well under that, unrestored. I don't have any non-radio equipped flip clocks in my Etsy store at this time.

Are restored clocks worth it? That is up to you to decide. Prices are high these days, but a restored clock, done properly, will run for MANY more years with no issues. Unrestored clocks are on borrowed time. Dirty mechanisms, dirty motors with old lubrication, lamps that are burned out or close to it, etc. Many still work...but for how much longer?

Some Seiko flip clocks are noisy, specifically the DP 690 or 692. Their alarm coils are "buzzy" as they age and the epoxy holding them together breaks down. It is fixable with some work.

MANY Sankyo clocks are unreliable to some degree. They use several different motors across their model lines and are just generally junky. Just about all Sankyos are "cyclotron" or roller-style clocks, anyhow. There are some exceptions in the Sankyo line.

Just about anything Copal or Caslon-branded will be reliable and fairly easy to fix. There are several manufacturers that re-brand these units, as well, like Caslon did with Copal units. Sunbeam also re-branded some Copal models.

You have A LOT of options so take your time and if you have more questions, just let us know.
      Last edited by ; November 15, 2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flipoclock View Post
        Hi Jocelyn,

Welcome to this wonderful and quirky forum! Nice to hear that you are thinking to get 'into' flipclocks, but beware, it can be addictive

Flipclock.eu is mine, so I won't comment on that specifically. In general, if you find pleasure in opening up devices and finding out how they work and how to get them going again and also handling some basic tools, there is no issue with buying an unrestored specimen of a Copal clock and doing it up yourself. You can have a lot of fun and potentially save yourself some money.
        When that is not your thing, I would certainly recommend buying a restored clock for most sellers (certainly not all of them) that sell flip clocks (for high prices) simply polish them up, plug them in, test it and put it up for sale. This is something that you can do yourself, you just need to find a clock that fits that profile.

I sell the 'lower end' Seiko clocks regularly, lower end does not mean they are any less than the higher end Seiko clocks, it just means they are less desirable than some of the Seiko clocks which have the Copal clockwork and motor inside. These Seiko clocks very much so have a 70s look and work like a charm and I could definitively help you there below US$ 200.

This is just my 2 cents. Perhaps someone here on the forum is willing to part with a Copal clock which has been done up already within your budget.

I do have some clocks laying about with cosmetical flaws that can be done up within your budget. I usually don't do these up for they will not meet my standards when finished
        Oh, hello! Thank you! I am glad that there is a forum like this, or I would really be on my own! I had fun browsing your Etsy shop, and certainly favorited a few of your clocks (RP243, red Citizen, a beige Citizen, and a 227). I forgot to mention that I would need a US plug.

I don't mind fixing things myself, and darn socks fairly frequently, but I have never worked on electronics. I would be afraid that I would ruin something, so I think you are right that a restored clock would be best. I am a bit of a worrywart, so knowing that the clock has had a check up would put me at ease.

I don't mind if a clock had a few dings or other cosmetic flaws, particularly if it is a Copal. We all have our flaws. Do you have any Copals like that hanging around, waiting for a loving home?

Would you say that what Engineer said about the Seikos is true?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer View Post
          You can certainly get one of those models for under $200, sometimes well under that, unrestored. I don't have any non-radio equipped flip clocks in my Etsy store at this time.

Are restored clocks worth it? That is up to you to decide. Prices are high these days, but a restored clock, done properly, will run for MANY more years with no issues. Unrestored clocks are on borrowed time. Dirty mechanisms, dirty motors with old lubrication, lamps that are burned out or close to it, etc. Many still work...but for how much longer?

Some Seiko flip clocks are noisy, specifically the DP 690 or 692. Their alarm coils are "buzzy" as they age and the epoxy holding them together breaks down. It is fixable with some work.

MANY Sankyo clocks are unreliable to some degree. They use several different motors across their model lines and are just generally junky. Just about all Sankyos are "cyclotron" or roller-style clocks, anyhow. There are some exceptions in the Sankyo line.

Just about anything Copal or Caslon-branded will be reliable and fairly easy to fix. There are several manufacturers that re-brand these units, as well, like Caslon did with Copal units. Sunbeam also re-branded some Copal models.

You have A LOT of options so take your time and if you have more questions, just let us know.
          I think you and Flipoclock have convinced me that a restored clock is worth it. I don't want to have to worry about the clock failing down the road, especially when some of the unrestored clocks are still pretty expensive. Plus I like the idea of supporting people like you, who are keeping these little clocks alive and well.

Thank you for the information about the Seiko clocks! My fiancé is a light sleeper, so that could be an issue.

And it is good to know that about the Sankyo clocks, as well. I will avoid those. I would not know if you had not told me, so thank you for the tip!

Comment

Working...
          X