Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic RC-6025 or RC-6030 and modified to make it look like 6025? Inbuilt mp3 possible but not necessary. Plus 4 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic RC-6025 or RC-6030 and modified to make it look like 6025? Inbuilt mp3 possible but not necessary. Plus 4 questions

Hello, I am in love with the clock especially after I watched the movie, some 27 years too late... Q1: Can anyone tell me the age of the clock? Anyone selling, for what price?
    Q2: I guess I can use it in France, but would need an adapter?

Q3: A different question: if I buy a clock that is scratched, can the lens be made "scratch-free"?

Q4: Final one: am in right in that the difference between the 25 and the 30 is the white line on the lens and the color?
    Last edited by Johnevers; March 8, 2020, 04:59 PM. Reason: EDIT: I just saw Q2 answered here i guess https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/forum/clock-show-and-tell/clock-restoration-and-repair/9907-panasonic-rc-6030-in-europe-not-working

Originally posted by Johnevers View Post
    Q1: Can anyone tell me the age of the clock?

Q2: I guess I can use it in France, but would need an adapter?

Q3: A different question: if I buy a clock that is scratched, can the lens be made "scratch-free"?

Q4: Final one: am in right in that the difference between the 25 and the 30 is the white line on the lens and the color?
    • Q1: The Panasonic RC-6025 was considered Panasonic's "entry level" or most basic digital clock FM - AM radio alarm and started to show up in newspaper advertisements in 1976 and remained advertised up until 1979 (see ads below).
    • Q2: You will need more than an adapter. You must get a transformer that steps down the voltage to 110-120 Volts AND changes the frequency from 50Hz to 60Hz.
    • Q3: Whether it will be scratch free depends upon the depth of the scratch. You can sand these down then polish them with plastic polish. You must be careful. Too much generated heat and the plastic will have aberrations in it ... like areas of magnification.
    • Q4: The Panasonic RC-6030 and RC-6025 are the same clock except for the plastic color, and also there is a stripe on the face of the RC-6030. This stripe can be removed with brake fluid. Back in the day I would buy up lots of the RC-6030s for parts for the RC-6025. But even they are getting expensive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Panasonic_RC-6025_ad_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	11051 Click image for larger version  Name:	Panasonic_RC-6025_ad_02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	11052
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Hi Mackey,
      Thanks, seems I found the expert.
      I joined already and am impressed with the site. Last question: I guess my best bet is waiting on this forum / Ebay for a good deal. It does not have to be the 6025, a 6025 lookalike (6030) would be cool. I am not in a rush, but any advice on getting a solid clock? So far I find 400 USD a bit high (Ebay). I have seen cheap 6030's that need work. Not sure I have the skill set.

Comment

By the way: too bad the above add is no longer valid :-)

Comment

• Mackey
          Mackey commented
          Editing a comment
          No kidding! We should have invested in Panasonic Clock Radios ... could have never predicted they'd go for so much.

... any advice on getting a solid clock? So far I find 400 USD a bit high (Ebay). I have seen cheap 6030's that need work. Not sure I have the skill set.
        I hate to say this ... but it's a seller's market on flip clocks. It's possible someone may come along and sell something for too little ... but not likely. I don't know what else to tell you. I wish I had better news ...

Comment

You got to hate Bill Murray for destroying at least 2 clocks in front of the camera

Comment

You got to hate Bill Murray for destroying at least 2 clocks in front of the camera
            I read some forum posts from a guy who worked on the props for that film. They ones he busted .... those were not real clocks. If you look closely you can tell. Anything from that set though would bring thousands of dollars. But I'm think it was all lost in the shuffle.

Comment

That brings me to another question. Again, I want to have the « Groundhog Day » feeling. What is the closest clock near the 25/30? What about a « Frankenstein » that looks 25/30 from the outside but has an inside from a cheaper cousin? I don’t want to spend more than 200 USD. So I could buy a working 30 and just paint it. There is also the additional mains issue (220v). Not sure what that would cost. My fantasy says « buy a cheaper 100% functioning cousin » and a good looking 25/30 and merge the 2.

Comment

Working...
              X