Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sony 8RC-25 Digimatic AM Clock Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sony 8RC-25 Digimatic AM Clock Radio

The Sony 8RC-25 Digimatic AM Clock Radio Alarm - Made by Sony, Japan, the clock measures: 8 1/4 (W) 3 15/16 (H) X 5 1/8 (D) (210 X 100 X 130 mm) and features AM radio, wake to radio or buzzer, and clock digits illuminated by an orange neon glow lamp. The clock originally featured a "dark gray" (pictured here) and an "ivory" colored cabinet. When playing, the radio dial lights up, appearing green due to the colored plastic used in construction of the radio tuning dial.

The greenish glow on the alarm set wheel indicates that the alarm is set.

The evening hours reveal a pleasant glow from the clock, with more than sufficient light to view the clock, but not so much to blind the eyes.

On the textured plastic cabinet top a "Pull Sleep" button, when pulled straight up, allows the user to listen to the radio for a time before it automatically shuts off the radio. The knob can be pulled up to various heights, marked off by lines on the knob for 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes of play time. On the back right of the cabinet top is the gray, alarm setting button (designated by "Set/Release Auto"), and the white "on/off Manual" button to turn the radio on or off.

The alarm can be set to wake to radio or a raucous buzzer selected on the left underside of the clock.

SPECIFICATIONS
    Semi-conductors: 6 transistors, 3 diodes, 1 thermistor
    Frequency range: AM 530 - 1605 kHz (566-187 m)
    Antenna system: AM built-in ferrite bar antenna
    Speaker: 2 3/4" (7mm) PM dynamic speaker impedance 8 ohms
    Output power: 300 mW (undistorted) 500mW (maximum)
    Power requirements: AC 230V 50Hz and AC 117V 60 Hz models, 5W
    Dimensions: 8 1/4 (W) 3 15/16 (H) X 5 1/8 (D) (210 X 100 X 130 mm)
    Weight: 2 lbs 13 oz (1280g)
    Accessory: Earphone (ME-20)

RESTORATION NOTES:
    The clock featured on this review was obtained from a site visitor and restored by Site Administrator, Mackey. The clock was found to be easily disassembled (see video below). The primary restoration consists of detailed cleaning as well as replacement of the 3 clock lights (a neon glow light on the clock digits, an incandescent light on the radio dial and one on the alarm dial). Replacing the lights by soldering into the circuit board can be done, but is made very difficult by very limited working space and the running of insulated jumper wires right over the soldier points.

Collection Notes:
    As one of the earliest Digimatics, the 8RC-25 tends to be rarely seen on online auction sites. The lights, unless restored, can be expected to be burnt out and in need of replacement.

VIDEOS OF INTEREST

Overview / Review

Disassembly and Restoration Notes

ADVERTISEMENT

Inserts: Specs - Features - French/German

Service: Electrical Schematic

Credits
    Photos and videos by Mackey
    8RC-25 Advertisement and inserts scans by UK eBay member etermejo

Click image for larger version

Name:	8RC25_01_lg.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	859
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Please take a photos with a good resolution of "Pull Sleep" button only, since I don't have it and I have to manufacture it. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by henrypal View Post
      Please take a photos with a good resolution of "Pull Sleep" button only, since I don't have it and I have to manufacture it. Thanks
      I no longer have this clock
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I really love this clock! Such a shame it is only AM and not FM :-(

Comment

I have one that's very similar to one of these that's a part of my Dad's estate. The model number is hard to read, but it looks like the last digit is a 9 instead of a 5 and the cabinet is black. The radio works, but the clock doesn't. Is it work anything?

Comment

Working...
          X