Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba RC 681-F treasure store find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba RC 681-F treasure store find

Wife found this Toshiba RC 681-F in the treasure store for an unbelievable price. Thanks to Mackey for the info on the cleaning and restoring of the motor. Interior and exterior were bathed in smoke tar, so that was cleaned. The bulb was in fine condition except for the residue on it, simple cleaning fixed that. Copal motor was intermittent. Alcohol bath on the outside rotor didn't help. Got a little better results from the drops of oil down on the shaft through the holes, but it was still intermittent. The gearbox was sealed and I didn't want to violate that, so I made 2 small sprays into the gearbox with WD-40 (after finding the video relenting on its use!) through the wire hole. That was the trick, apparently the gearbox needed a bit of lube as well. Time keeping has been perfect for the past week, as this has become my nightstand clock radio. Radio works just fine as well to boot. Thanks again for the site!

Nice find and nice clock in all it's basicness!

Tell me more about 'bathing in smoke tar'..... how does it work and what is its purpose?

Comment

Oh, sorry. I mean that the previous owner was a smoker. It had tar inside and out. The windows were hazey. All had to be cleaned. For a basic clock, its works wonderfully. It has a snooze, something thats a must for my daily use. It has replaced my more modern Sony digital.

Comment

Haha, now I get it :-)

Snooze is rare on Flip clock but it does seem to concentrate on Toshiba, the only one with a radio and a snooze that I ever had was indeed a Toshiba (a different model).

Comment

I never intended to become a collector, mainly i have been on a tear to reclaim things from when i was a kid. It started with me tracking down my first ham radios, and re-adding them to my collection. I remebered as a kid the glow of the orange neon and how much nicer it was than my current green spotlight that brightens the enitire room, so i told the wife to keep an eye open on her treasure hunts. 49 cents is what she paid for it. I did a search when i found it not working and found you guys. With Mackeys videos, i got it working and immediately replaced the Sony. Now i find myself reading ebay daily along with my wife on the treasure store prowl. The repair was fun! I got the biggest kick out of fixing it, and want to find more to repair.

Thanks again for the tips, and i’ll keep on reading.

Comment

The clock looks great! What a great deal too. I have not restored a toshiba yet, only Sonys and Panasonic's. I have been restoring flip clocks now for just over a year. I think I've restored around 20+ clocks.
            Good luck with finding another. This site has been a great help for me also.

Comment

Now that's a success story if I ever heard one. Great to hear that something cool from the past got rescued and restored! Rock on!

Comment

Working...
              X