Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Grayson wall mounted flipper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Grayson wall mounted flipper

Here is a large 17” electric “Grayson” i have in the kitchen, the accuracy on this piece is amazing.

Very nice clock. I saw one on eBay once, but not in my budget. Did you restore it yourself or buy it already done?

Comment

i polished it back up but due to it being hung at height it was pretty good already, i have thought about doing the case with peroxide to have it white again but i rather like the colour it’s aged to now, it’s electric too btw

Comment

Yep, made by Twemco. They go forever and the gear motors are fully serviceable. Search for my Jadco DT17 aandrew.

Comment

it’s always been quite loud on the hour, i don’t know if that’s normal ? we’re used to it now, a bit like a grandfather clock with an hour chime.

Comment

That's normal. Kerchunk! Know the sound well.

Comment

They are basic in design but very nice clocks! The of those large flaps going at once will make some noise indeed :-)

Comment

They have a fairly strong spring that gradually loads up through the hour. At the end of the hour the cam releases the hour spring to "catapult" the hour card over. At least that's how my calendar clock works. It's likely the one here is similar or the same as my calendar clock mechanism to keep costs down. The reason for the strong spring (in mine anyway) is that the tiny motor must, at midnight, change the minute, hour, date, day and sometimes the month. It's a good system that works very well in that only one hour card is required per hour (unlike Copals) and the hour card always remains high in the retaining clip (unlike Copals) but it makes a hell of a racquet on short date months with the solenoid advancing the date at midnight as well as everything else. It is one of my favourite clocks though. A real workhorse.

Comment

Working...
                X