Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal RG405 flip-alarm-clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal RG405 flip-alarm-clock?

I actually thought I had seen all the different Copal flip clocks by now, yet I came across this one (of course I bought it), the Model RG405.

It look a lot like the 705L, yet there are some major differences....

The 705L has a switch at the back to turn on/off the alarm and a button on top where you can turn off the alarm when it sounds. The RG405 has the switch at the back, but where the alarm button would sit, there is a light to indicate that the alarm is on/off. Handy? I don't know, it definitively is intriguing...

Instead of a glass front, it has a plastic front. On the bottom, there is a plastic strip to cover up the screws.

I of course researched this clock, but found NOTHING..... I'm quite sure that it does not make this clock invaluable, but it does lead me to believe that it was either short-lived or perhaps some kind of test-series which was only released in small numbers?

Anyone?

A short, descriptive video on the alarmclock

Comment

Definitely a rare clock. So the green neon activates with the alarm. Very odd. Concept model? Base model? Who knows.

Comment

Don't know.... It feels more like an in-between model, like the 705L would be the finished product. Yet the label indicates that there is nothing special about it, guess we might nevver know.

Would be nice to have a direct contact with someone who used to work for Copal back in the days, like 35/45 years ago :-)

The green 'neon' does not actually do anything other than indicate that alarm is set to 'on', it is very basic really.

Comment

Oh I see. So the neon is lit when the alarm is set. Motel use possibly?

Comment

Sounds plausible indeed.....

Comment

No snooze button to disturb other guests. Maybe.

Comment

Oh, and the green neon could've been Copals take on a night light. Possibly to guide you to the bedside in an unfamiliar dark room if the clock was facing away. Remember when we were kids? Those orange neon plug in night lights? They were never much good but they were all we had.

Comment

Working...
                X