Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estate sale find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate sale find

I found a Panasonic RC-6551 at a local estate sale. After waiting over a hour outside the house to get in to search for this clock, i was shocked to see it was still there when i got inside. The clock motor is not working and the lights are dim, but it is in great shape. Im going to dive into as soon as i finish the “no country for old men” clock i just purchased on Ebay.

Wow, you hit the jackpot there! Nice.

When you open it up, please keep an eye out for an L-shaped piece of black cardboard. When I opened mine up, one dropped out onto the table before I'd got a chance to see where it came from. It looks like it's to block light bleed, but I haven't been able to figure out from where yet.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the black cardboard piece you mentioned. I will watch for that and let you know where it goes.

Comment

Nice find! Looks really good, I´m jealous

The cardboard piece fell out of my first I disassembled and could not figure it out where it came from. But when I opened out my second one I found where it should mount. Here is a picture with the right spot. When you open yours Jumblejeff and it is mounted differently let us know
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Panasonic.png
Views:	225
Size:	940.4 KB
ID:	6285

Comment

The Swede Thanks, that's a great lead on the piece of cardboard! So not light bleed, but to screen the external antenna connection then. I wonder how a bit of cardboard helps there?
          Jumblejeff Thanks, look forward to hearing if you find it in the same place in yours

Comment

I just opened up the clock and did not see the cardboard in this one. This thing is a beast of a flip clock. Very different from other clocks where as the guts are mounted to the top half of the clock. Is their a light in the alarm too? Any restoration tip would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Ah, the cardboard does fall out very easily, so I guess if the case has ever been opened it may well have been discarded when they couldn't figure out were to put it. Without TheSwede's photo, I had no idea where it came from.

I haven't got round to fixing up my 6551 either yet, so I second your shout out for tips JumbleJeff. I already know that the tuning knob on mine rotates eccentrically - I think the knob has been bent at some point, so I need to disassemble and straighten that out, and there is a constant hum which seems to be coming from the speaker even when the radio is off - loose connection, bad cap, dunno yet?

Comment

Here is a cool picture from my black lighted RC-707S (japanese version of 6551). On that one there is a transparent green plastic between the radio light and whirligig. I guess is it for light up the whirligig in a different color when the radio is on. But on the 6551 there are nothing there to either block or filter the light when the radio is on.

Jumblejeff I agree they are built lika a space ship Yes there are a light to the alarm the red arrow in the picture points at it.

The hum you talk about Edbert I dont think you can loose, it´s in the circuit to operate that way. I think it got something to do with how the extra wink bar work since if you put you finger on the wink bar you can here the hum change. My first I got just had a very dim hum (you really need to listen to here it) but my other was pretty loud at first. But what made mine to loose to almost nothing was electronic cleaner on all the potentiometers and selectors.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2374.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	6294

Comment

Yes I have seen that bulb that lights up when the selector switch is on alarm or auto. I was wondering about the alarm set thing to the far left. It looks like wires go to a possible light, similar to the tuner tumbler.

Comment

Yes there should be a green neon bulb there but mine is very dim. Here is a clip when Mackey change that neon bulb in another Panasonic but it got the same clock mechanism from what it looks like.
                    Restoration of the Panasonic RC-6493 with a focus on replacing the lights. Extensive research (Ok, Google and YouTube as well as eBay searches) reveal the li...

Comment

Thanks for the link. The clock mechanics look the same. Great info in that video. I’m going to message Mackey about those green bulbs. This clock looks like a lot of work but I really worth the effort.

Comment

TheSwede - thanks for the info about the hum. I'll try cleaning the electrical contacts, and also check wiring near the extra wink bar for any loose bits.

Comment

Hey Edbert
                          The tuning knob stem on my clock does not spin true either. The string that moves the tuner is wrapped around it. Not sure how to straighten it. It’s very stiff. I wonder if this is what happens to this model. No sign of any damage to the knob or case. Let me know you opinion.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumblejeff View Post
                            Thanks for the link. The clock mechanics look the same. Great info in that video. I’m going to message Mackey about those green bulbs. This clock looks like a lot of work but I really worth the effort.
                            They're in the mail Jeff!
                            ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                            If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                            If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Jumblejeff Interesting that you've got a similar symptom on the tuning knob. I didn't disassemble the clock much, so just assumed the tuning knob was bent. I didn't see any obvious damage either. Perhaps it just slips on its mounting over time? Either way, hopefully it doesn't take unwinding the tuner cord to get in there to sort out the problem. I'll take another look tomorrow and see what else I can find, but I probably won't be pulling this one apart for a little while as I need to finish off the others I've already started first.

Comment

Working...
                              X