Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jadco (Twemco) DT17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jadco (Twemco) DT17

This is a mains operated 24hr (240V Ac 50 Hz) Australian branded Jadco DT17 aka Twemco.

I know my way around this model well now.

I purchased this clock in reasonable condition but it had a few problems.

The first problem was the synchronous motor was fairly noisy. This was a simple fix as the motor and gearbox, unlike many Copals, can be fully stripped down, cleaned of old lube, re-lubed and reassembled. All good. In fact great.

The next problem was that the solenoid wouldn't advance the date on days less than 31 in the month. The clock would simply run out the full 31 days in any month regardless. There are tiny contacts that needed cleaning on the day and month wheels. This was very fiddly but I got there in the end.

The third problem was that this clock (traditionally used in banks and government institutions in Australia) had unfortunately been hung facing the direct hot summer sun. Many of the cards had warped in the heat. I managed to find a "clunker" on Ebay going cheap. I purchased it on a gamble that the cards would be better/straight. I lucked out big time. The clunker looked terrible but was mechanically excellent. I had a full suite of spare parts for my project clock. So the flip cards were sorted out in the project clock quick smart.

One of the things I felt this model lacked was lighting. I can't understand why this model didn't and still does not have lighting, even something basic. It has ample internal room. So being an electrician with much patience for this clock, I set about creating a lighting system for it.

I installed a single-pole digital Theben timer and 12V led switch mode power supply. This feeds through a photoelectric cell which brightens the dial lighting in the early evening and then after the ambient daylight subsides the photoelectric transfers through a night time PWM variable digital dimmer. Night time dial lighting is set to your preference. The lighting is set to switch on at 5 O'clock in the evening and off at 7:30 in the morning.

This clock took me about a month and a bit of evenings to get it how I wanted it (plastic polishing included)

The lighting you did for it fits really well, having it vary depending on the time of day is a nice touch as well.

Comment

Nice work! I hope to get one like this one day.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Hi Twemcopal, looks really nice, compliments for the amount of work you put into this project!
        I'm looking for some more information on the DT-17 Twemco. Does anyone know the history of this clock? Was it manufactured in Australia? Or Hong-Kong? Or perhaps indeed European? Some 15 years ago i bought the DT-17 in a second hand design store and today it is still in very good condition, works very accurate and it has very little signs of discoloration. Here are some foto's of the clock. Hope to get some more info. Thank you all!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg
Views:	1553
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	6156Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	6157Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2285.jpg
Views:	1418
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	6158
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Flipper,

Thank you for your nice comments on my restored DT17.

These clocks were made extremely well. As far as I can ascertain they were (are) made in Hong Kong. As I was restoring and modifying my Jadco I did notice some sub-assemblies were marked Twemco.

The only component I can for certain identify as being Japan is the synchronous motor (pictured) I know the die hard Copal fans (of which I am one too) won't like this but the Twemco motor is FAR superior to any Copal motor I've ever seen.

The 24 pole motor found in a Twemco/Jadco/Grayson DT series clock can be fully stripped down, easily cleaned of old lube and relubed in a flash. The gears are much beefier than Copals and are certainly not prone to crumbling and stripping. These clock motors would have to be amongst the very best ever produced for flip clocks in my opinion.

Interesting to note that these calendar clocks use a fluorescent lamp starter connected to a solenoid to skip forward the date on months less than 31 days at midnight. Provided your clock is set correctly it can also account for leap years. The small number wheel located on the right hand side right beside the month should be displaying 2 for year 2018.

These clocks were very popular in government facilities in Australia, after restoring one I'm not at all surprised. They were built extremely well.

The only thing I will say is don't hang your clock facing direct sunlight. The flip cards will end up bent like Pringles.

Comment

Twemcopal~ nicely done! The lighting is classy as heck.
            Along with Flipper, I too am looking for more information on this clock.
            My girlfriend found a Bulova branded Twemco 17 series for $25 in a thrift store here in New Jersey. It's powered by 2 D batteries. Someone seems to have put a piece of tape and and a black tab on the prong that holds/releases the hour cards. It's aesthetically disturbing to me. Judging by the leap-year examples printed on the back, I'd guess this is from the early 80s.
            Has anyone heard of Bulova contracting this model for the States? Curious about that.
            Also, there is dirt on the inside of the acrylic glass. How can I pop the front off to give it an old Windexing?

Thanks for your patience and time!

Name:	BDB60CD3-1DEE-4DCC-AEA0-EA57A9ECBC41.jpeg
Views:	1551
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	6839Click image for larger version

Name:	EB9D83A7-1C91-4F3E-B82A-02E188B13653.jpeg
Views:	1461
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	6840Click image for larger version

Name:	A1D18581-8D7E-4AB1-B575-A7985411AA23.jpeg
Views:	1434
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	6841
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi bulovabeethoven and welcome,

I am unable to tell you much about your Bulova calendar clock because it's a battery operated quartz model. My experience with this style of calendar clock (three of them now) is the AC mains synchronous motor type.

Things I can tell you are,

It's very unusual to see your model in Bulova livery. I have only seen them in Twemco, Jadco and Grayson livery. I would have said yours was a Twemco QG-35 (or similar) except Twemco now source all their battery mechanisms from Germany. Your battery mech seems to be Hong Kong made. As far as I can work out all this style of clock are made in Hong Kong to a very high standard. I'm not sure of your model number if it was a Twemco badged unit.

It looks like a little TLC will take it a long way. The lens is removed by removing the back, taking out the entire clock mechanism and accessing the lens from the rear. Polish the lens with a little Maguires plastic polish while your at it.

You'll need to remove the mechanism anyway to repair the card retaining tine. Then consider lights.

You need a reasonable amount of patience with these clocks but the results are very rewarding.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hello I just bought a Twemco dt-17.

can someone tell me how to open the back. It has no screws and i don't want to dsmage it. It makes some noise and wat to see if i can do something about it.

Comment

You unscrew the rubber feet on the back, they are a double in that they also connect the front cover to the back. At least this is how it is with the smaller ones.

I am a bit afraid that the noise you are hearing is because of play in the movement due to wear and tear. I am working a big Twemco clock at the moment and have experienced this. The supplier of the motor has already told me that this was a one-off for Twemco and therefore they do not carry stock and Twemco has told me that since my particular model has been out of production for 20 years, they do not carry parts for it anymore.

I'm still pondering for a solution, but the supplier of the motor might be able to supply me with parts of the motor, I am still in touch with them. Their name is Nippon Pulse Co. Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by Twemcopal View Post
                    The 24 pole motor found in a Twemco/Jadco/Grayson DT series clock
                    That's interesting, so my calculation that the Copal II motors must have18 poles if they revolve at 333 RPM on 50Hz AC sounds a bit more likely..

What sort of oil or grease do you use when you're re-lubricatng the Twemco motor?

Comment

love what you find on the internet, great read all.. here is mine, just sits on the wall and chugs along, I cant believe how accurate these things are, what year where they made? Like the other images here on the back indicates 1980's as the example for the leap year, so I assume they where made in the late 70's early 80's. is there any way to work out the exact year? I also made the below chart to correctly set the leap year I'm not really a die hard flip clock fan, however love having this thing flipping away while I work, you always know the top of the hour when they all drop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2020-04-30 170410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.5 KB ID:	11757
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by _warb_ View Post
                        I also made the below chart to correctly set the leap year
                        Don't forget to skip leap day in 2100

Nice flip clock, are you in Brisbane, if so, good to see another contributor from Australia, cheers from Hobart.

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post

Don't forget to skip leap day in 2100

Ha, I'll try not to, let you know when I get there.

I'm not up north, I'm in NSW, clock was from my grandmothers house, my aunt bought it for her from a random shop in NSW as the 'numbers where big' .. so it kind of sentimental too.. also have this little one below on the table here, actually got it after a trip to Tassie about 16 years ago..

Name:	IMG_20200430_190010.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	11761

Comment

Originally posted by _warb_ View Post
                            also have this little one below on the table here, actually got it after a trip to Tassie about 16 years ago..
                            Hey, stop coming down here & taking all the good stuff

Day of the week is usually all I need, but sometimes I forget the year!

I have a similar flip clock, it's a woodgrain 229 but your's looks to have a flat base ?

Comment

yeah, had a look, its a 229, guess thats the model number, bottom is not flat, just the angle of the phot.

Comment

Working...
                              X