Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seth Thomas Speed Read Catalogue Number 796 - Battery 24 Hour Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seth Thomas Speed Read Catalogue Number 796 - Battery 24 Hour Clock

Click image for larger version  Name:	seth-thomas-speed-read-796_005.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	5959The Seth Thomas Battery Operated Speed Read Cat. No. 796
    This seems to be a rare bird in the world of Seth Thomas flip clocks. I'm not even sure where this clock was primarily sold. The directions are in English, and the price stamped on a tag was in dollars, so it was probably either sold in the US or Canada. However, I cannot find any advertisements of this clock.

Impressions:
    I love the look of this clock. Bright Chrome on black. The front is real glass and the clock is built well over all. the clock has a shape like a headlight in the front and it tapers back almost like a tail fin.

Dimensions:
    5 3/4 inches wide 2 3/4 inches high and 4 inches deep.

Click image for larger version  Name:	seth-thomas-speed-read-796_003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	5955Click image for larger version  Name:	seth-thomas-speed-read-796_001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.2 KB ID:	5956Click image for larger version  Name:	seth-thomas-speed-read-796_004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	5957Click image for larger version  Name:	seth-thomas-speed-read-796_002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	5958

Details:
    The most interesting thing about this clock (besides, it's rarity, the fact that it's battery operated, and that it has classic car style) is that the motor is old style clock works. It's a ticking clock! And a loud ticker at that. You can hear it ticking away from across the room. When disassembled you can see right into the clockworks because clear plastic was used. It has a balance wheel and balance spring that can be easily seen and the clock mechanism is working away in there. It's not a quartz battery clock like most of the new Chinese clocks. This had to be a pretty early flip clock.

Problems:
    I'm almost positive that this clock came from the factory defective. The tine at the top of the hours was not adjusted correctly. Also, the thin metal spring that holds the hour tile back until after the 00 minute tile drops was installed incorrectly (or maybe I should say, incompletely). Overall a pretty straight forward fix, but I'm pretty sure no one would have taken this clock apart just to mess it up in that strange way.

The only thing that a Google search turns up is one being sold (actually the clock pictured above) and the YouTube video that I recently completed (see below). Let me know if anyone learns any more about this clock.

Video Over Disassembly and Details of the Clock Mechanism
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

it is lovely indeed. Me personally, I don't like chrome on flip clocks, that's why it's not my favorite :-)

Comment

Working...
    X