Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 802 "Green Light"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 802 "Green Light"

This Copal 802 "Green Light" is one of my favourites in the collection.

I have serviced the motor and I had a new 8mm diameter neon tube made to replace the worn original lamp. The circuit for the light has a factory installed micro switch attached to the hour drum which turns the light on and off automatically. The light switches on at 5:06 pm and off at 7:22 am.

Normally on the 801 model, the Copal badge is on the lens. On the 802 that is where the "Green Light" badge is placed.
    ​​​​​​​

Very interesting, haven't seen one before that has a switch for turning on/off the light, I like the idea. So you had a custom neon tube made? How was that process?

Comment

Hi RetroFlip.

The original Copal 4" tube (approx) had seen a lot of use and had considerably dimmed making it difficult to read the clock at night.

I have a friend not too far from where I live who has a small neon shop. I gave him a drawing of what I needed him to make. I decided I might as well go the full width of the flip display. He did a great job making the tube for me.

I then had to find a decent (but quite small) neon power supply with the correct output to suit the small tube and one that would fit in the clock.

I could've used LED strip but I wanted the clock to look as OEM as possible. I did this about two years ago and it works as well as the day I did it. Easily readable at night.

Very happy with the results.

Comment

WOW! That is a gorgeous clock with the new neon tube in it! I have a couple neon phones from the 90s and always enjoyed the neat neon glow of them...but this really takes the glow to a whole other level. Great work!

Comment

Hi Towmater,

Yes I too remember those neon telephones.

I think the neon telephones came to Australia in the late 80's or early 90's. I remember the neon tube in the telephone would flicker when someone was calling and the neon would stay on when the telephone was in use. Hot Pink, blue, green name your neon colour.

Thank you for your kind words regarding my Copal 802. It was fairly straightforward restoring and servicing the clock itself. The challenge was making the new light source fit into the body of the clock.

Something worthy to note is that this modification could be done on the slightly more common 801. The only issue would be to install a microswitch and cam on the hour drum to switch the neon on and off. On my 802 this was factory fitted for the original 4" tube.

Comment

Hi all

I am a recent accidental collector of flip clocks... I just found my own unused copal green light in a charity shop on my street for £15 and I’m in love! I was wondering if anyone can tell me a wee bit more about it and it’s value? I’m not finding much online. Many thanks in advance, Katie

Comment

Hi Copalkatie,

It seems to me you've come across an excellent find indeed!

As to regards to its value, basically condition is everything when collecting flip clocks. Cosmetically and mechanically. Upload some photos of your new purchase for us all to see.

If you have the table stand, book and box that definitely adds value too.

Regards,

Twemcopal.

Comment

Working...
              X