Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RCA RWD436R New Flip Clock Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCA RWD436R New Flip Clock Find

Hello-

Thought I would show the new flip clock I picked up at a flea market yesterday for $10. It is a vintage RCA model RWD436R alarm flip clock with AM only radio. Bought it because it looked unusual. Stands vertical with clock above radio. Tried the alarm clock this morning, went of just as set, has 7 minute snooze. Can't find much on the web about it. Anyone know how old it is? There is one on EBAY for close to $90 though. If anyone has any info on this clock, please let me know. Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_210708[1].jpg
Views:	195
Size:	625.4 KB
ID:	5444Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_210720[1].jpg
Views:	345
Size:	621.2 KB
ID:	5445

-Jesse

Man you scored. I really like the look of that thing. Sorry, no info, but maybe someone else knows something about the clock.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Cool design! It's seems like an avionic part of a military jet fighter!

Comment

Nice little clock, very '70s with the orange and white color scheme. I have see that one a eBay a few times. Based on the style and country of manufacture I would guess 1973-6. If you open it up, the clock mechanism will have a sticker with model number and a date code.

Jeremy

Comment

Great find. That looks like a keeper to hold to for a while .
          If you do put it up for sale, follow up and let us know what you fetched for it.

Comment

I have one of these which was made in Japan. American brands such as RCA, Magnavox, Zenith, Admiral and others transitioned from having their products made in America to production in Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan in the early 1970s.

Comment

In my last post I meant to say made in Japan not America!

Comment

Hi, I managed to get hold of one of these - a beautiful clock to be sure. I've pulled it apart for a reno, so I'll post something in the restoration section on that, but here's a picture of the clock mechanism.

Made in Japan, Copal mechanism (same one as found in the Wynford Hall NSI-1103, albeit the Wynford didn't have the snooze mechanism installed even though it does have the capability and mounting holes there - I assume they didn't want to spoil the lines of that clock radio with a snooze button?). I am not sure how to read the date code - week 43 of 1972?

The radio on this also sounded pretty good to me, and when I took it apart it has a Pioneer branded 8ohm 1w speaker - other clock radios seem to have Sanyo or unbranded ones, so looks like RCA sourced some pretty good components for this clock. Interesting to see that this type of speaker lives on the hobby electronics arena https://www.adafruit.com/product/1313. I'm tempted to try out a modern 3" speaker, mostly used in car audio, to see how that sounds but not sure if the amp would be up to it as the original speakers are very low wattage and high sensitivity in comparison. The magnet is also massive on the coil in comparison on the modern ones, so probably wouldn't fit.

Comment

Working...
                X