Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clipper TC-27. An unusual korean flip clock radio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clipper TC-27. An unusual korean flip clock radio.

Hi to everyone,

i post in the forum my second flip clock radio that i have. I bought this one during the last week at another flea market in Lucca for 7.5€ (9.3 dollars). I did some researches on google to find more information about this radio and his company named "Clipper" but ironically i found only lighters for smokers. As you can clearly see in one of the photos that i posted this radio was made in Republic Of Korea. I am very curious about how this radio clock could be arrived in italy and that's will probaly be a funny story. Unfortunately internet doen't really help me about it.

Before starting the restoration i cleaned all the chassis because it was completely dusty and dirty. After that, i tried if the radio and the clock coluld work properly but obviously neither could do. Luckly the neon bulb was still bright and shine.

So i decided to start the "truly" restoration and once i opened it i seen that the alarm/clock mechanism is made by the famous japanese company "Copal" and on the right side of it there is a funny write that says: "Japan Copal , not jewelry". Then i cleaned the entire motor mechanism with some WD40 for unlock it. After that, i started to repair the radio circuit that was completely mute. In order to restore the circuit i simply replaced all the electrolytic capacitors (10 in total) (i replaced the small values such as 1uF, 4.7uF and 10uF with the newer MLCC ceramic capacitors for increase the life span and the reliability) and after all this work the radio gained his "airworthyness" by playing some FM and AM station!

The final work to do before reassemble the radio clock was to rewire the AC line properly with some electrical terminal block because in origin there was only some electrical rubbery tape that carried out the task.

All the photos that i posted are after that the restoration. I would like to know any others information about the korean Clipper Company.

Please let me know if you find this topic useful and interesting!

regards

Mattia

This is very good information Mattia! You’re experience in this area is greatly appreciated.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Apparently a lot of Flip Clocks originated from Korea, I have 4 clocks with the same mechanism as you have. An from 2, Manta RD500 and Falster RD500 I know they are made in Korea. I guess Korea provided flip clocks for all European major companies... and also a lot of rebadged versions in the vintage high days.

Comment

Hi @Space72, thank you so much for the informations

Comment

Working...
        X