Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundesign Model no.3524C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soundesign Model no.3524C

Hello to everyone!

I'm a new member of this fantastic forum. I'm from Pisa and i have a great passion for electronics and especially for vintage electronics. I collect and repair vintage tubes radio for hobby. I decided to post my first ever vintage flip clock radio in this forum.
    I bought this radio in december 2016 at a flea market located in Florence for 10 € (12 dollars). When i turned it on for the first time the radio didn't works and the clock was stuck so i started the restoration:

For the clock, i simply put some WD40 in the motor mechanism for remove the oxidation and some crappy dust and after 2 minutes of wait the motor has started to move as the old times. I noted that the entire mechanism is branded "Copal" though the radio was made in hong kong. Another easy thing that i replaced was the neon bulb with a new one because the original was very weak.

The radio restoration wasn't so easy as for the clock because it was completly mute in AM and FM. So, i firstly replaced all the electrolytic capacitors with some new ones (of the same value but with higher voltages).In my experience of restoring old electronics stuff i noted that the 70% of the problem are crated by faulty old electrolytic capacitors. After that, the radio doesn't work so good because of some false contact. After a careful analysis on the switches and on the potentiometers i thought that the problem was created with some cold solder joints and in fact i was right. To resolve the problem i pressed on every solder joint with a screw driver for locate the cold solder and once that i located it i just added some new solder for reform the joint. After all this work the radio started to works porperly with a great satisfaction.

A great surpise when i opened it for the first time was the schematic locaded on the bottom of the chassis !

All the photos that i posted are after the restoration.

I hope you find this post interesting and usefull.

Please let me know If you have some question about some tips and trick on vintage electronics restoration!

Mattia
    Last edited by bigomat; February 6, 2018, 04:26 AM.

Hello Mattia...welcome!

Comment

Great post bigomat

~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
      X