Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caught a red faced Copal 227

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught a red faced Copal 227

Color tiles on flip clocks are pretty rare. Seiko and Citizen had a few models. And Copal had the 226 and the 227-3 in red, yellow or blue (brochure). Here is my 227-3:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030881.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	29079

And here in good company of a Citizen 7RD007 and Copal 101 :

Name:	P1030893.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	29080

The clock you see above is a merger of two clocks. The clock I bought was badly damaged (I knew this in advance). Bits were missing from the bottom and someone drilled a hole in the side:

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	29081

My plan was to replace the case with that of another 227 that I had lying around. To my big surprise that plan did not work out: the glass, the bezel, the case and even the back cover were all different!
    The differences are subtle but none of the parts can be interchanged. The point where the glass, the bezel and the case meet is differently designed. The only visible difference on the outside is around the top and bottom edge of the window. In the color faced 227 a small strip of the case is visible behind the glass, in the “normal” 227 only the bezel is visible.

Name:	P1030876.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	29078

This was of course a big bummer. Where to find another one of such a rare case?
    After detailed investigation of online images of 227’s I found that it looked like some (not all) black faced 227’s also have the case I was looking for. After a long wait luck came back to me when I could buy such a black faced “for parts” clock . The case of this clock I combined (after retro brighting) with the internals of the red clock and the result is what you see above.

This clock is a true beauty. I'm sure I could make a space for it on my shelf when you get tired of it !!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks!
      I do plan to start selling some clocks as my collection is growing out of hand and has some duplicates, but this one will not be leaving soon

Comment

Working...
      X