Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Sony 8FC-100W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Sony 8FC-100W

Hello everyone, it has been a moment or two since I last shared a restoration.

Here is the latest project I've finished recently. Scooped it up for a very nice price on eBay back in February. Polished out very nicely. I suspect that these are getting harder to find in "restorable" condition, meaning the motor just needs to be cleaned and the radio circuits sprayed, etc. Most of these are gonna be harder to fix in the future I reckon.

Anyways, at least there's another one kept from the landfill. Currently pulling nightstand duty. It's so easy to set the alarm with this one!

Looks good!
    Reminds me that I still have two of these, incomplete and in a bad state, with a plan to fuse them into one good working one.
    Should be feasible as all the parts are there, but getting the motors to work reliably (and quiet) is getting more and more difficult.

I see two foto's where you clamped the motor in a horizontal position. Was this to get lubrication down the bushings or for some other purpose?

Comment

Good eye, I typically keep these in a horizontal fashion so I can "run the oil in" for the bearing. Usually only keep it that way for a few minutes to an hour, than I test it over a 24hr period for timekeeping.

Comment

My first fully functional flip-dial was one of these units, when I bought it 10 years ago or so from a local thrift store for $5 the clock mech still worked on it and every thing, but the alarm set dial light didn't work (in fact every iteration of the Sony Digimatic Alarm Clock I've ever owned and attempted to resurrect had a non-functioning alarm set dial light.)
        But the alarm started going off randomly when it wasnt set to go off.

Comment

The alarm mechanisms on these can get out of whack when taken apart to be serviced. Pretty easy to take the C clip off and realign the alarm wheel, always makes me a bit nervous though!

Comment

Working...
          X