Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restored a Gracia from junk to gem(ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restored a Gracia from junk to gem(ish)

From junk...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4215.jpg Views:	0 Size:	337.8 KB ID:	26583

... to not quite a gem but at least a lot better

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030395.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	26581 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.9 KB ID:	26580 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030399.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	26584

This "Gracia" looked like it was used for years at a building site. It was full of dirt, paint, scratches and had badly discoloured.
    The dirt and paint I removed with just water and soap. Then I sanded and polished the case to remove most of the scratches. I hoped this would also restore the colour. It did improve a bit, but not as much as I hoped for. I could not go to wild on the sanding as I wanted to keep the labels on the sides. At least it now shines like a gem

Apart from the cosmetic restoration it needed new "tines" , a new neon bulb and some minor other tweaks. The tines I made from the end of tie wraps that I glued to the back of the metal bar. This worked well, but it is a bit noisy. Maybe something a bit less stiff would soften the "clack" it now makes each minute.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4227.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.8 KB ID:	26582

Nice work Johan! I like the basic shape of these clocks! Looking at the 1st pic, I thought it was white clock, painted red... Luckily for you not so :-)

I use paper for the tines, not regular paper, but the thicker one used for business cards. It is not completely silent, but better than plastic. How does it hold up? I have sold quite a few of these over the years and have not had a complaint yet (which does not mean there are none, I know, but none have come back to me).
    I cut it up in the shape of a capital letter T. I cut it too long (on purpose) and then by eye and forwarding the clock, I cut them shorter (this is a bit tricky, I have cut them too short at times, leaving you back @ square one...). Anyway, that is how I do it.

Comment

Thanks Robert! Paper or cardboard could work well indeed. But as I looked around today in my stuff for a suitable material I found a sheet of rubber, about 1 mm thick, and I thought I'll give that a try. I cut a T-shaped and a U-shaped piece to size and glued that to the back of the metal bar. It is a lot quieter now and gentler on the tiles. Incidentaly it is now more in line with the original that was also made of rubber, but that is not a big concern to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030408.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	26590

Comment

Working...
      X