Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Digilume Dialite Model 22102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Digilume Dialite Model 22102

The Digilume Dialite Model 22102 (brown). It also comes in white (22100) and black (22104).

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	613.4 KB ID:	25834view video

The following images are screencaps of the completed video - which of course I would hope you'd consider watching on YouTube.

I though the mechanism looked familiar and indeed it is. It's the same mechanism that is used in many brands of windup flip clocks. In house I have a Bradley wind up and the mechanisms are exactly the same (of course, except for the Bradly having a wind up clock and the Westclox having a synchronous motor).

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.1 KB ID:	25815 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-18.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.5 KB ID:	25816 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.5 KB ID:	25825 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	25826 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.0 KB ID:	25827 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-7.jpg Views:	2 Size:	146.4 KB ID:	25819 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-5.jpg Views:	2 Size:	241.1 KB ID:	25828 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-16.jpg Views:	2 Size:	159.0 KB ID:	25823

Speaking of which, it uses the General Time Corp M5 Capsule Motor. The same as what I called the "film clocks" but what the makers (Westclox) calls
    "revolutionary tape digital clock" and
    "quiet tape system with backlighted numerals"

In looking at many catalog pages from Clockhistory.com, I discovered that there were many, many more clocks using this tape digital clock than I ever imagined.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.7 KB ID:	25818 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	281.4 KB ID:	25822 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.5 KB ID:	25829 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	266.4 KB ID:	25830 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	252.6 KB ID:	25831 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	265.5 KB ID:	25832 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-17.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.5 KB ID:	25824 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.9 KB ID:	25833

It seems Westclox was really pushing these types of clocks through the flip clock decade. I would imagine many failed - many more than any Copal, etc I'm sure because of the failure of the tape clock itself, loss of neon glow, and/or failure of the capsule motor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.5 KB ID:	25835

Interestingly enough, the clock was in the throes of major flicker due to the "Dark Effect." They say the Krypton-85 gas used to help start and maintain the ionization of the Neon gas has a half-life of 10 years. But I know we've got working neons much older than that. Not sure why.

In any event, I changed from orange to a green neon and really like the result.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	25821 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.0 KB ID:	25820

Another strange thing was that apparently someone torqued a screw so hard that it broke off the head. I couldn't see it initially and had a terrible time trying to get the mechanism out. Had to drill down that screw eventually.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.4 KB ID:	25814 Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	25817

Well, it's a nice little clock that I picked up for a reasonable price recently.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

I did a bit of research on the "dark effect." It's a known issue and why they often include Krypton gas in the mix. They even have used this to make flickering bulbs on purpose. It's not related to the blackening of the bulb. The bulb that I removed had very little darkening, and I've had nearly black bulbs that did not flicker.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
    X