Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Seth Thomas Model 0885-000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Seth Thomas Model 0885-000

These are images of a little Seth Thomas flip clock from a recent ebay listing. It caught my eye because I've recently been into basic flip clocks, - no alarm, no radio.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sethclock_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	25290 Click image for larger version  Name:	sethclock_02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	25296 Click image for larger version  Name:	sethclock_03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	25298 Click image for larger version  Name:	sethclock_04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	25297 Click image for larger version  Name:	sethclock_05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	25304

It's the Model 0858-000 (Cat: 858)
    clock measures
    height: 5 inches (12,7 cm)
    length: 9 3/4 inches (24,8 cm)
    depth: 4 inches (10,2 cm)

I was surprised by several things.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	25294

First of all: It's not a little guy at all. Compared to the Seth Thomas cube clock you can see a huge difference in the size of the digits.
    When comparing this clock to this Copal 227 you can really appreciate the size of this Seth Thomas Catalog number 858.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	25295

Now the second obvious thing is that this is a ticking flip clock. Just like the Seth Thomas rolling wheel clock (Model E039-005) and the Seth Thomas wall clock (Model 0849-000).

Not only that, I learned that the clock works for all three of these clocks are the same.
    Also, the mechanism in this wall clock is essentially exactly the same except for the position of the battery holder. The mechanisms are basically interchangeable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	25293

The label reads "A Talley Industries Company" so we know this clock was made after 1970. It was 1970 when Talley Industries took over General Time Corporation, which was the holding company for Seth Thomas and Westclox (since 1930s).
    General Time is in fact, stamped on the clock works.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	25291
    The whole clock was made in Japan. Even the clock works, although, like I mentioned, it's stamped General Time who likely held the patent.
    The clock uses one C-cell battery.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	25292 Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_07.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	25299 Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.2 KB ID:	25301 Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_09.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	25302 Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_08.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	25303 Click image for larger version  Name:	vidcap_11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	25306 Click image for larger version

Name:	vidcap_05.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	25300

You have to remove an extension post on the clock speed adjustment.
    You can't get the case off until you do that.

The time is measured out by a mechanical clock. It's got a balance wheel, an escapement and a mainspring.

The clocks have characteristic sound, ticking and a whirl every minute when the clock flips. I run the wall clock daily – I’m used to this sound.

Let's try to review what's going on here.

During the rapid movement a rocker arm moves, positioning the end holding a magnet, next to what is known as a reed switch. This causes two metal blades located inside the glass tube of the reed switch to come into contact, completing the electrical circuit that turns on the dc motor.

The whole point of the mechanical clock works is to control when this happens (which is, obviously every minute).

A key component of this situation is a freely rotating triangular shaped plate which has 3 rod extensions that take turns interacting with the magnet-holding rocker arm.

A plastic wheel behind the black plate and a protrusion on the main spring control the position of the rods, which results in turning the dc motor on or off by controlling the position of the rocker arm.

When activated the motor simultaneously advances the flip clock and rewinds the main spring. The purpose of the spring, besides running the mechanical clock, is to move the 3 rod extensions. As the spring was wound, the plastic wheel behind the black triangle, rotates the triangle and its rods, moving one of the rods in a position that moves the rocker arm magnet away from the reed switch, ending the current to the motor.

Once the motor stops, the worm gear acts as a brake, holding the spring in place on the right side by the plastic wheel.
    On the left side, the spring is allowed to slowly unwind by the mechanical clock gear train, moving the brass gear clockwise, which moves the rods to drop the rocker arm.

Once the rod slips off the rocker arm, the rocker arm moves the magnet to the reed switch.

The rotation of the rods during the spring winding causes the rod next in line, to move the rocker arm back to its starting position to ready for the next minute drop.

There's a lot going on all at once, but once you follow it through, it all makes sense.

Maybe it's crazy but I really like to watch this work and the sound doesn't bother me.

I have no idea how to name this clock mechanism. Maybe we can call it the

General Time self-winding mechanical clock switched dc motor driven clock works.

Click image for larger versionName:	vidcap_12.jpgViews:	0Size:	92.3 KBID:	25305

or G T S W M C S D C M D C W, for short.

To me, these ticking flip clocks have character and charm.
    They're retro to the extreme as far as flip clocks go.
    Sure, this is not a great way to flip a flip clock.
    But it sure is fascinating
    To me anyway.

See The Video
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Very nice detailed video of the working of that self-winding clock mechanism!

I have a 'Fashion' clock from Japan that uses exactly the same mechanism (see this post that was crippled by the missing images. I added the images in a later response) and also a Sankyo 535L with a similar but different mechanism.
    I'm totally used to the ticking and whirling sound and also love it! The house would be awfully quiet without it ;-)

As I experienced with the 'Fashion' clock the motor can be a risk. These very simple motors use metal brushes that will wear. In my motor one was completely worn away. As a replacement motor proved impossible to find, I fixed it by a fiddly repair using the brushes from a different motor.

Comment

I love these clocks. Very stately and look great. Nice review.

Comment

Working...
      X