Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Grandfather of All Flip Clocks - The Plato Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Grandfather of All Flip Clocks - The Plato Clock

I have had the opportunity to get my hands on what is considered the first true Flip Clock. Made sometime around 1904-1906, the Plato Clock was considered a novelty. Later clocks called Cyclometers (the big wheeled clocks like the "Speed Read" came about, followed by the split flap digital clock we now all call flip clocks.

My Review

UPDATE (2019): I've completed a fairly comprehensive article about The Plato Clocks
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

That is one amazing clock - the most interesting thing for me being that it is mechanical. Thanks a lot for sharing. I saw a similar one on eBay and also an interesting "drum" clock somewhere else, made in Japan, I think. Should have saved a picture, now I can't seem to find it.
    SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

I think it's pretty cool too. People have been going crazy for them on eBay. I'm either going to have to sell this back or start selling more clocks to pay for it (I bought it on PayPal credit). My wife found out ... she's cool with it but I definitely got to do one of the above.

Comment

But it's such an uncommon and interesting object today, I think you should keep it.

By the way, I've found a similar clock to the one I have seen somewhere on the internets. It's not a flip clock, but it caught my attention (and it's mechanical):

Would be interesting to have this sitting on my desk.
        SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

You know .... I think I am going to keep that clock.
          That Thing or clock you mentioned ... is strange ... but cool. I'm uploading of pic of it here.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Elgin-alarm-clock42.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	261

Comment

Hey Mackey if you get your hands on an older one of these you going to do a restoration video?

Comment

Originally posted by whitaker717 View Post
              Hey Mackey if you get your hands on an older one of these you going to do a restoration video?
              Man, I highly doubt it. Even the broken down ones are expensive. I can't say that I haven't thought about it though.
              I did take this one apart a bit out of curiosity and I wanted to clean the interior of the glass. I did not feel comfortable doing it though, considering how much it cost.

Comment

:-D Yes, it's definitely a "thing," that strange Elgin thing.
                SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Working...
                X