Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JVC Video Capsule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JVC Video Capsule

A long time ago, some folks here pointed me to a JVC Video Capsule- one with a flip clock in the base. I received it, and it wasn't working, and so I put it on a shelf for "someday" when I'd have a moment to figure out what was wrong with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3cd4ca3be93bd5dbee99729fcf872918.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	24362

Name:	74c3997aa2897fcfd8cb703e42f9aa73.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	24363

Name:	e63e017a32f6adcef00af458b728b500.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	24364

The power cord was broken off inside, mostly, so I replaced that and it started working. If I'd known the fix would be that easy, I'd have done it ages ago! The TV itself needed a few things adjusted, but it too appears to be working well enough.

Name:	c776d0470a3a13ce87864d25f8385e75.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	24365

Now to the meat of it, the flip clock!

Name:	6cbdefb94361c2f774f1d10d062464c3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	24367

I'm not sure exactly what sort of mechanism this is in here, and I haven't spotted any obvious labels as of yet. It does appear to be working, aside from the lamp that's burned out- though I know I've got a spare or two left from Mackey that I'd think will do the job. The alarm mechanism is stiff, but the buzzer is nice and loud to compensate.

Name:	735ddedf17fdfa32c5512be4731069c5.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	24368

Name:	e514b30873432ea85b6a425f26622b8c.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	24369

For "major" restoration work, I'm considering doing something to the plastic housing of the unit. Judging by the narrow band inside where the upper cover was, it seems this unit was white or cream colored originally, and the yellow color is simply from age and cigarette smoke (it does smell mighty pungent inside!) but I'm not sure the best method to do that... if I should even do that. Admittedly, I don't have the best track record when it comes to working on plastics.

Comment

The good news is it looks like a Copal mechanism for the alarm wheel and the actual flap assembly, but the gear system and motor are something I've not yet seen either. Interested to see how it goes!

In terms of retrobrighting, I think submersion in hydrogen peroxide and water would be the best option due to the size of the case. I just purchased an inexpensive 365nm UV LED lamp do start doing small retrobrighting projects, like my Copal FP-220 which needs it badly. Hoping to post the results of that here soon.

Comment

That is one cool beast/machine! The mechanism looks strangely familiar, it appears to be Copal indeed but not something I have seen before.
        It is hard to tell from the pictures but I might have seen one Copal clock with a similar motor before. It is a motor without a flywheel, with gearbox, right?

Comment

Originally posted by flipoclock View Post
          That is one cool beast/machine! The mechanism looks strangely familiar, it appears to be Copal indeed but not something I have seen before.
          It is hard to tell from the pictures but I might have seen one Copal clock with a similar motor before. It is a motor without a flywheel, with gearbox, right?
          That is correct. There's no whirligig, but it's got a series of visible/accessible gears to tak power off the motor and move it 90 degrees into the clock mechanism itself. It's mighty strange!

Comment

The motor looks like the push/pull unit found in many Yorx models as well as the famous Magnavox 1R1736.

Comment

• flipoclock
              flipoclock commented
              Editing a comment
              it's possible that it's not a Copal at all, the clockwork itself looks somewhat unfamiliar.

Wow……the cone comes back to life. I remember when that clock appeared on EBay. I’m glad you got it up and working. I have never seen another one. Looking good so far.

Comment

Thanks for the report, Performa !
              ~ Mackey Site Administrator
              If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
              If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Another look at the clock itself. It has two neon bulbs packed into that plastic torture chamber. I'll bet they overheated and blew ages ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8d591d0e887626a2eda90c5063bb3249.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.7 KB ID:	24455

Have I mentioned this thing is crazy dirty inside?

Comment

Reminds me of a GE mechanism.
                  ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                  If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                  If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
                  X