Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Large Gensign Solari Wall Calendar Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Large Gensign Solari Wall Calendar Clock

Hello, I just wanted to show a picture of my 35kg flipping wall clock. Also a picture of the same model on the streets of Perth Western Australia in 1954 (state library State Library of Western Australia 303449PD)
    It is lit by two fluorescent tubes. The outside/retailer says Gensign. The works, bolted onto the back of the face, which is a substantial slab of cast aluminium says "Solari in Udine"
    I really don't think the Kings Cross sticker is genuine. Sydney's Kings cross station only opened in 1979 and I can't see them using this monster which would already have been old then in a new station. Could possibly have been on the streets of the notorious King's cross in Sydney in the 1950s, but I'm not sure.
    It works, with the most delightful and sometimes startling buzzes and clicks. And the cascade of metal numbers when the minutes, hours, date and days turn I'm sure would gladden the hearts of anyone on this forum.
    It works completely fine, but everything is out of sync. The hours change at 13 minutes. I am not mechanically minded, so I can't really work out how to line it all up. The instructions are faded.
    If people want to see the insides I will add more photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clock2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	22492
    Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	22493
    Attached Files

Oof, these are gorgeous clocks and a feast to look at, even from the inside! I did work on one of these (similar to this one) a couple of years ago and still have the occasional nightmare from it

Comment

• Andrew
      Andrew commented
      Editing a comment
      I was hoping you'd say "It's easy and logical to set them hahaha..."

Very cool!

I think we had someone visit this forum with a similar model before. The layout looks like the Solari modello CP which would put it in the 50s. Some of these need a electrical pulse to properly keep time, the term is often 'slave clock' as a train station would have multiple clocks wired to a master clock and would be able to change the time from there.

flipoclock, didn't you have one that you had do send pulses to, how'd that turn out?

This is an example of what is used to pulse to some of these old clocks, ebay link
    if you figure out what type of clock it is, then that might be a route to go down, if you can get something the right voltage for where you live.

Comment

• Andrew
      Andrew commented
      Editing a comment
      It "keeps time" just fine, ie the minutes change every minute and an hour every hour. So it seems not to be a slave. It's just that they change at 13 past not at the hour.

• RetroFlip
      RetroFlip commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, I see. Hopefully that's adjustable, I don't have hands on knowledge of these models, so I'm of little to no help.

The one I worked one was mains powered. I suspect the 'gut', the inside of the clock would look similar to this one although the outside was different. There is a lot which is adjustable on the inside of this clock, the issue is that when you're unsure what you're doing exactly, sometimes an adjustment here might lead to something else being off elsewhere and so on and so on.

Comment

Working...
    X