Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seiko Quartz Flipper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seiko Quartz Flipper

I picked up this Seiko Quartz clock this week, to be honest it the first Seiko quartz i’ve ever seen for sale and quite fancied owing one as i also collect 70’s Seiko watches.
    It arrived very clean but i opened it up to clean out the dust anyway, it has a badged up Seiko movement inside, i think the alarm time mechanism is pretty cool and haven’t seen that before, if you press the red button on the top the alarm time is covered with a red cover and it’s now “off” with the alarm time showing it’s “on”
    Looks like it has come via Japan as the instruction sticker is in Japanese.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	47B74594-15F0-4ADC-AF1A-4ADB29338802.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	22076 Click image for larger version

Name:	78BAFAE9-DDC7-4563-A1DF-CCED563BC640.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	580.0 KB
ID:	22077 Click image for larger version

Name:	36827F23-85E3-422B-ADBD-C8112DFE0329.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	686.8 KB
ID:	22078 Click image for larger version

Name:	D83F8E05-E63F-4E18-8F78-4455BF82E3C1.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	667.5 KB
ID:	22079

Nice find and indeed, this one most likely came from Japan, that is the only place where you can normally find them.

Provided that the movement is working, these are fine movements. Once they start giving issues, they can be dreadful to work on.

Comment

• aandrew
      aandrew commented
      Editing a comment
      it’s running great so far, it has the exact same font as a quartz Copal i have so i’m wondering if they share parts? i was a bit surprised to see a Seiko movement in there i thought that would be a Copal one too.

Those are really nice units. Good job picking up a fine example. The motors are pretty durable, but not great to work when they start to fail. The Seiko and Copals do not share parts for motors.

Comment

After owning two of these, I can tell you they're really great clocks. But like engineer said, as soon as you see trouble, time to move on. The plastic parts in these are difficult to work with and repair, and the mechanism is very compact. I've only repaired one successfully, the other had to find a new home . Hopefully yours lasts a long while!

Comment

Good find. I have a couple of very similar Seiko quartz flip clocks in red. They are both very quiet and so I have one in the bedroom. One needed work when it arrived as the battery had been left in it too long. It needed a good clean and a couple of wires replaced and it hasn't missed a beat.

Comment

Working...
        X