Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Howard Miller Flip Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Howard Miller Flip Clock

Click image for larger version  Name:	HowardMiller_05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	167.5 KB ID:	21074
    It is with great excitement and satisfaction that I introduce you to the Howard Miller Flip Clock - now part of the Flip Clock Fans collection!
    This is a bucket list clock and I frankly thought that I'd never see one in person.
    I wrote an article and made a YouTube Video about this "Enigmatic" clock

I made an verbal (email) contract with an older gentleman (he says he's 83) for me to take the clock and send him the payment if I liked the clock. It had the motor replaced, but the secondary motor had stopped working. The "new" motor also did not have the red on it. When it arrived the wood was darkened, the plastic cylinder dirty - the digits discolored and, of course not working.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1868.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	21075 Image from the seller. This is about how it looked. I was so thrilled to get the clock that I didn't bother taking any "Before" pictures myself. I tore right into it.

Here's what I learned:
    This is the most surprising - It's a smallish clock. I thought it would be much bigger. The size is due to anther surprising detail - the mechanism is just a 2nd generation Copal 101 - Exactly! The only difference is that there is no light on the Howard Miller clock. I was incredulous.

Because the seller included the original motor I learned that the red is simply painted on the rotor. I used to suppose that it was a plastic covering or something.

The rosewood, under all the oil and grime was simply beautiful! The wood is very hard and dense. It cleaned up very easily with soap and water. All I had to do was apply a wax to the wood to bring out it's color. That's all. No oil, nothing but a protective wax. I did some light sanding in places. This was a bit edgy. You're just not going to be able to replace this rosewood.

Oh... and I heard that if you scratch even old rosewood you'll get the scent. Well I sure did. My son said he liked the smell. It was sweet but didn't remind me of roses. The wood dust was red/brown and carried the scent.

I thought of simply swapping a whole mechanism to get better looking digits (they were very discolored). But I learned the the simple handle to set the clock is a metal bar that has been crimped on the shaft. I didn't want to take a chance with that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HowardMiller_07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	185.1 KB ID:	21076 The old tile swap - This is always a time killer.

Do I have to mention that all the motor needed was a couple drops of oil?

Other problems - the framework had picked up some oxidation. But I cleaned it with q-tips and Deoxit. That worked pretty good. Then I applied a light coat of oil.
    I painted the rotor with a deep rose red color enamel paint (had to go to a Train Hobby shop in Louisville, KY for a good paint selection).

When I was in negotiations for the clock I saw what looked like discoloration on the base. I was thinking that the rest of the base and wood had been stained. But after reading up on rosewood more, I find that this is one of it's charms. There are often may variations in the grain and color. There's no staining rosewood - what you see is what you get. It's amazing really. I actually like the stripe now. It's very distinctive - like a highlight in a woman's hair.

What can I say... I'm just glad to be able to share my find.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HowardMiller_01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	171.8 KB ID:	21071 Click image for larger version  Name:	HowardMiller_03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.9 KB ID:	21072 Click image for larger version  Name:	HowardMiller_04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	21073

Click image for larger version  Name:	HowardMiller_02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.8 KB ID:	21077 Click image for larger version  Name:	HowardMiller_06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	170.8 KB ID:	21078
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Well, my goodness. That looks really awesome. Excellent work, my man.

Comment

That is one awesome clock and as suspected a Copal clockwork and motor, which is essentially a good thing

Good work!

Comment

Well done Mackey, it really came out beautiful. I'm sure it will fit in well with your collection.

Comment

Video Completed.

Comment

Wow that’s a gem you have there. Nice restoration. That rosewood makes it very unique. Also, I noticed on the brass colored label it says Zeeland Michigan. Was is made there?

Comment

Jumblejeff Yes. It is said that their headquarters and a large manufacturing facility are in Zeeland. They’ve been there since 1922 making clocks since 1926 and still at it today.

I wonder if flipoclock saw the video - especially about the part it being illegal to ship the Howard Miller Flip Clock internationally.

There have been cases of people losing prized musical instruments made of Brazilian rosewood when travelling internationally.

Comment

Oh man it's pretty! Nice work sir!

Comment

Wow. What a beaut. I’m always impressed by your efforts. Good find and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                  X