Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philips HR5271

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips HR5271

That shape, those colours, unmistakable the 70's!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020073.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	20661 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020070.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	20663 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020069.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	20664 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020072.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	20665 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020071.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	20662

Philips offered this clock also in orange or white. And it was also sold by different brands, like Meister Anker or Garant. Who actually manufactured it I'm not sure. There is no label on the mechanism or anywhere inside, but the motor looks like it is produced by Rhythm.

It needed only little work when I got it:
    - replaced the neon light bulb,
    - lubricated the motor to silence it,
    - slight adjustment of the alarm spring to get it to work reliably,
    - general cleanup.

Some tips for working on this clock:
    - two screws are hidden by the after feet vilt pads
    - two more screws are hidden by white plastic inserts at the bottom (if they are still there, since it is near to impossible to get them out without damaging them)
    - the knobs at the side can be simply pulled off (mine were very stuck, so I first removed the bottom and then pushed them out from inside)
    - to free the mechanism from the alarm knob you need to first move it sideways

Name:	IMG_2306.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	20658 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	20660 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2331.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	20659

Interesting write up and interesting version of this clock! I have never actually seen it with this particular motor, the ones that I have had and have have the sealed type motor inside, also with no manufacturer on it. Good to know that this type of motor might fit in it, it's worth pursuing if I have one of these with the sealed motor which has died.

Comment

I ran into another Philips HR5271 and indeed that has the Toshiba sealed motor.
      The motor was not running but I got it going again by use of a hairdryer and some oil (same method as in this post).
      Here are they side by side:

Name:	IMG_2491.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	21475

Spotted some other differences as well:
      • the mechanism is not screwed to the bottom of the case, so there are no white plastic caps at the bottom,
      • the alarm button is a rocker type instead of a pull up type.
      Not sure though these differences are in any way related to the type of motor used inside.

Name:	P1020292.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	21476 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020293.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	21477

Comment

This one has caught my eyes several times, but never had one, thanks for showing off some of the variation of it.

Comment

Don't think this particular model was marketed in the US? The motor on the left means it is doable to change it over to 110v/60hz though.... Good idea, must give that some thought and rummage through my parts pile

Comment

Working...
          X