Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony TFM-C430W, Six-Sided Small Surprise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony TFM-C430W, Six-Sided Small Surprise!

So on an eBay whim I offered $30 for the clock and won it! It was originally advertised as a TFM-C450W, the weather radio variant of this clock, but I new from the pictures that it was a C430W as it didn't have that fake woodgrain on the top of the clock.

When it arrived, I soon found that it was one of the easiest TFM-C clocks to open up. Two screws on the back, a pry point at the top, and two little flaps at the bottom to line up the back of the case. It was a breeze! After getting it open, it was another case of a stuck motor, and no gearbox damage. The radio worked great, and the original neon bulb worked too. I cleaned the radio switches and pots, and oiled the motor with some synthetic clock oil. I also replaced the neon bulb, it wasn't totally burnt but it wasn't as bright as it should be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2093.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	19620

Uh oh! When it got here, I tipped it forward, and the front facia just fell off! So I fixed that with some Loctite. The whole mechanism, radio board, and power supply are all very neatly arranged. The speaker has a clip and some black goo keeping it on the top of the case.

Name:	IMG_2095.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	19621

Name:	IMG_2094.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	19622

After some polishing on the front crystal, knobs, and switches, I think it came out pretty alright! This is a really neat compact clock, the nice design of this Sony really surprised me. A lot of the TFM-C series of clocks are very well made, but harder to open up and service. I'd recommend this to any first time flip clock buyer if they can find one.

Name:	IMG_2099.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	19623

Name:	IMG_2100.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	19625

Name:	IMG_2101.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	19626
    Attached Files

Yeah, I like the cubic design very much, cool clock!

Comment

That cleaned up nicely. That brushed aluminum front looks perfect.
      nice work!

Comment

Very nice. I LOVE these little cubes. They are really cool designs and it is so hard to find nice ones to work on.

Comment

I'm blessed to have one that came in perfect condition. But it's nice to see a zombie version brought back to life. Nice!
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

very nice, i’d argue the TFMC480 is easier to open up and work on though

Comment

Working...
            X