Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ken-Tech Model T-485 - a nice little film clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken-Tech Model T-485 - a nice little film clock

Thanks to Performa in a post about ebay clocks I noticed this curious little clock. No, it's not an LED clock and it's not a flip clock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	t485.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	19102
    The seller let it go for $11. This is one of those film clocks that many of you are well acquainted with. This one did not work ... but, thankfully I had a part waiting for it.

The Fix UP
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

It is a neat little contraption! I'm still rather impressed that firms like Ken Tech and a few others looked at how the landscape was shifting towards LED "computerized" clocks, and still managed to sell a "fake" one that looks the part using (I presume) overstock mechanisms. My Juliette pictured below has the same mechanism, and at a glance one wouldn't think it was all that different from the little Cosmo sitting on top of it. If anything, the "fake" LED clock's single lamp appears a lot brighter than the Cosmo's real LEDs do after all these years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5bb5ef05c0b8f6a2b097a0d29992ccd6.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	19109

I do think it's funny that you got yours "kinda" working by banging on it. When I got this Juliette I just gave the motor a good shake to hear if anything was rattling, and it fired up. It's unbearably noisy, and I'm sure it'll fail again, but this one isn't one of my runners so it's not a huge deal at the moment. As I mentioned on the video, I might explore that problem further, as I don't have much (if anything) to lose with a few experiments on this one. Again, great video sir, can't wait to see what you'll find next!

Comment

on the possibility of oiling. I tore into one of the capsules. You'd have to try oiling around the brass gear. That would be the best if any oil could get around it. If not a hole on that face would be the only possible solution, but I don't think it will have a good outcome.

The capsules have a nugget in there.. a sponge-type thing saturated with oil.

I have heard from someone that their Circle of Sound Zenith has run great for years. As you probably know, these motors run hot. And I think the capsule want/needs that heat for oil dispersion.

Hey, Just thinking of this make me wonder if gently heating up that capsule might get the oil moving. I'd remove it from the other part of the motor ... but it might work. The trick would be to heat carefully to avoid warping it. Just thinking outloud.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Very nice fix up Mackey! I had to oil one of these motors when I restored my Seth Thomas 821 a while back. It is possible, although difficult, to get the casing apart on these motors. After that, a light application of synthetic oil helps them to run much quieter for much longer.

Comment

Could very easily dab a little thermal paste to it, gob a big heat sink to it and hit that sidelong with the heat gun. Could gradually get it up to a couple hundred degrees if need be. Worth a shot I say!

cyb3rbyte , if I might ask, how'd you get the capsule open? I can think of plenty of ways and tools I'd reach for to get it open, but knowing me I expect it wouldn't go back together after I was through with it. Any insight on that one is appreciated- perhaps we can yet figure out an easier way to tangle with these things.

Comment

I have oiled up 2 of these now and it's not complicated, albeit a bit tricky. Next time I get the chance to do one, I'll take some pics. I did not use any specific tools other than a dremel-type-tool and a cutting disc.

Comment

The process to opening one of these is trying to pry open the sides of the fragile gearbox housing, then the whole gearset and rotor should fall out. It almost looks like a pie tin. I took my time using some small soldering snips to get the case open, then bent it back into place afterwards. I tried to show some photos of the process on my Seth Thomas 821 restore thread.

Comment

Your video comes at the right time. I have a Philips 90RS455 coming my way which has the same mechanism but is not working.
                Hopefully "percussive maintenance" can fix that!

Comment

Working...
                X